Split rectangles into triangles?

Moho allows users to write new tools and plugins. Discuss scripting ideas and problems here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Split rectangles into triangles?

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Hi, I have been using a lot of smart meshes for most of my characters and I normally prefer to create the triangles myself instead of using the "triangulate 2D mesh" option. The process is much longer, but gives me the chance to control exactly how I want the mesh to behave during the animation.
Now, most of the time while I'm creating this meshes, I create squares that then split into two triangles and paint each of them. Do you think there's a way to make that step quicker? I'm thinking about a script that automatically takes every for points connected, divide them into triangles and then paint them.
What do you think?
Thanks
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
A.Evseeva

Re: Split rectangles into triangles?

Post by A.Evseeva »

Yes, I have a script, working such way:
make some filled shapes (any shape, not only square. But they have to be bulgy, without self-intersections) and run the script. It will split filled shapes (only filled) into triangles. The benefit is that none of existing edges will be deleted, while built-in command deletes them sometimes.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Wow! this is fantastic!
Thank you very much, Alexandra! I will use this script for a project right now!
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

or you might consider my "shape" tool -- viewtopic.php?f=12&t=29621#p170024 -- that gives you a mesh from a click-drag rectangle.