Codec

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

sionagayle

Codec

Post by sionagayle »

Which Codec Is Optimized For Playback Across The Internet?
Greenlaw

Re: Codec

Post by Greenlaw »

Most people probably use h.264 for internet stuff.

A newer standard h.265 is superior and quickly catching on. Unfortunately, I'm finding h.265 is not fully compatible for all platforms/software yet so I'm sticking with h.264 for now.

If you're submitting to YouTube or Vimeo, the data will probably get re-compressed, so make sure you submit the highest quality. When I'm editing, I typically use a lossy-less codec like MagicYUV or another codec with minimal quality loss, and then output the final with h.264 in .mp4. If you're using a Mac, you''ll probably want to use ProRes 422 for editorial, and output to h.264 for final uploading.

Final tip: I like to convert my files from Computer RGB to Studio RGB before uploading to YouTube or Vimeo. This will make your video look a little washed out when played locally but the black levels will look correct for YouTube/Vimeo. (Naturally, I make two copies, one with the conversion, and one without for local playback.) If you're using Vegas Pro, just add a Levels fx to the Video Output and use the preset called 'Computer RGB To Studio RGB'. If you're not using Vegas, just add a Levels plugin/node to the output of your editor and use these settings:

Some pros will say doing the above is a 'hack' and not 'technically 'proper' but it's easy to do and the result is visually correct.

Hope this helps.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I think I just assisted a spambot. Oh, well...maybe real humans will find the above info helpful. :)
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

First post with spam in the signature...probably. But good info, nonetheless.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I know that feeling. It's like reading the complete chess rules aloud only to find that the duck is not interested.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
Maestral

Post by Maestral »

Not all ducks are the same :)

Though, the signature link seems legit!?