[Blob Brush Bug] Shape Distortions

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

adm

[Blob Brush Bug] Shape Distortions

Post by adm »

Problem:
-When drawing a shape with the Blob Brush, then zooming in/out at different percentages will cause the entire shape to slightly distort with every subsequent stroke that's added to it. After a few strokes the original shape I created is unrecognizable.

Extra:
-The effect is more severe the more you change zoom levels, and the longer you work on it. None of the changes to brush settings will prevent this distortion from occurring, or enabling/disabling GPU, or hardware acceleration.
-You'll also notice in the video that at some point, the view zooms back a level which causes me to inadvertently make a mark to the left, this was Moho that unexpectedly changed the view.
-The performance also significantly diminishes when this distortion happens, and you have to wait a second for the stroke to 'confirm' on the canvas.
-I've noticed this happen on Moho 12, 12.5, and now 13. A copy on my laptop (different PC) also distorts the same way.

Any ideas?
-I've read that applications that use a similar feature take a snapshot at a certain zoom resolution to capture the strokes at the beginning, but when the user changes zoom levels and begins drawing, the different zoom resolutions don't match up and the program tries to average the points out.

*Also, the smallest size for the blob brush is 0.01, which when rendered is still larger/wider than a screen pixel. Is it possible to make the Blob Brush size smaller?

Greenlaw

Re: [Blob Brush Bug] Shape Distortions

Post by Greenlaw »

Yeah, that's a known issue. My understanding of how the Blob Brush works is that it's always 'auto tracing' an unseen bitmap as you paint it. This can lead to slightly different results with each stroke. This is really just one of many problems with the Blob Brush.

The Freehand and Blob Brush tools have always been problematic: bad (looping) end points, random off-screen points, unwanted navigation zooming, etc. I think the concept behind Moho's freehand vector system is just flawed. Personally, I avoid using these tools for now.

FWIW, the developers are aware of most of the problems and I'm told they plan to fix the problem or even replace the Freehand/Blob Brush tools entirely.

For now, they're focused on the new bitmap tools, which of course is equally important.

I'll let them know about this thread. Hopefully, they'll get around to addressing these vector brush problems soon.
adm

Re: [Blob Brush Bug] Shape Distortions

Post by adm »

Thanks Greenlaw.