Freehand Tool and Frame By Frame Layer

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Greenlaw

Re: Freehand Tool and Frame By Frame Layer

Post by Greenlaw »

Slyanim wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:42 pm ... I miss the basic transform tools for bitmap tools like "free transform" or "cut" and "copy and paste"...

The bitmap tools are great! I tried it in the demo version, but nowadays I can't use it, because of really big lags. I don't know why is that :(.

It would be nice, if there was a official forum, where we can share some thoughts with the developers. ( If they don't follow this forum)
Yeah, I want to see a lasso/selection tool next. For me, that's an essential bitmap painting feature. Sure, I can try to paint things without mistakes, but when the work is under a deadline and subject to changes, I need all the help I can get. :)

Can't go into specifics but it's probably safe to say the developers are busy working on further improvements and enhancements to the bitmap tools. Hopefully, we won't have to wait too long to see them.

I haven't heard anything official but I've always assumed an official Moho forum will open at the SM site eventually. I just hope all the info here at Lost Marble will continue to be available...the info here is too valuable to lose.
Reindeer

Post by Reindeer »

I am a little perplexed about the new bitmap tools. The brushes are nice in texture and form but I've not been able to create a good render for any of them. They seem to be jaggy, or more than I expected, in output, especially when used for simple black line drawing (I’m saying this based on quick renders, I guess for a fair evaluation I’d need to upgrade and export some video).
The brushes also seem laggy. If I draw fast I get segmented curves (the kind of thing that happens with, say, Photoshop when using a large brush on a very high res image).
I see I can move bitmap layers as a whole (the same way one does with vector layers in Moho) but I can't find a way to select and move parts of a bitmap drawing. Say, a marquee or lasso to copy/cut and move segments of a drawing while animating FbF. I don’t know how much easier these painting features will make the workflow, I’m a but puzzled. All these may just be wrong impressions or stuff I’m still not doing right.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Up your resolution ( at least 1440) and use a big painty brush.
If you want smooth clean vector like lines , then use vector.
If you want a paint like or textured finish, use the bitmap.... horses for courses.

The old Moho render engine will be overhauled as a matter of importance but for now go with the strengths, you've seen some good examples, right?)
Reindeer

Post by Reindeer »

chucky wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:40 am Up your resolution ( at least 1440) and use a big painty brush.
If you want smooth clean vector like lines , then use vector.
If you want a paint like or textured finish, use the bitmap.... horses for courses.

The old Moho render engine will be overhauled as a matter of importance but for now go with the strengths, you've seen some good examples, right?)
Do you mean higher file resolution or image resolution? I’ll try both.

I guess the bitmap features are a very nice integration. Adding textures, sketching, some storyboarding could be a some-time saver.

True, vector brushes are clean and can do practically anything, but as we know Moho's freehand tool is not ideal for ’natural' drawing (though it got much better after version 11 & 12). Like many here (I guess), I've gotten acquainted to build rather than draw, which is fine because Moho offers so much it's well worth it. But there has been some negotiation - so to speak- in the years between my personal inclination and this peculiar technique :)
Conversely, now we have bitmap brushes that work very nicely and respect one's hand but are still buggy, and yes, we can paint images, but have (as far as I can tell) zilch edit possibilities (which means Photoshop and Clip Studio are still options if one wants to achieve more-than-basic painting).
I love Moho and use it all the time, I'm just trying to figure out whether I really need to upgrade, as it was clearly needed after 11 (if my version memory is correct). :?
chucky

Post by chucky »

No worries Reindeer, that was perfectly reasonable and intelligent, certainly not an 'it not good' one line trashing. :D