How to embed Videos and attach Images to the forum

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

djwaterman

Re: How to embed Videos and attach Images to the forum

Post by djwaterman »

Oh well. Indeed I only discovered today that Photobucket now stamps big watermarks over any image you might've had with them so I spent about an hour or so downloading my entire album one picture at a time just so I can say goodbye to them and re-link the images over time.

It's quite bad, they were a free service and then decide they aren't, so everything gets watermarked and it all goes away if you pay them $400 or whatever. Go away!
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Since TinyPic is going away, I decided it was time to learn how to embed an image to a forum post directly from my DropBox account.

Here's how to do it:

1. In the online DropBox page for the image, select the image and create a link for it. (Click Share then Create Link.) Copy the link.
2. In the forum's post editing window, paste the DropBox link
3. Select the link text and then click the picture link icon button.
4. Here's the important part: Change the ?dl=0 bit at the end of the DropBox link to ?raw=1
5. Click Preview or Submit

Now the image should appear in the post.

Hope this info is useful.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Here's some more info Dropbox users may find useful...

My Dropbox folder structure was getting messy and I wanted to reorganize it, but I was worried that moving and renaming folders might break links to the images I've posted here in the Lost Marble Forums. So, I tried some tests last week to see if this was actually a problem.

As it turns out, Dropbox is very smart about maintaining shared links even when files are moved to completely different folders, renamed, or when the folder it's in is renamed. It's also pretty tolerant about files being directly overwritten by another program or through drag and drop. This seems to be because the link provided by Dropbox is not really path to the file, but rather a link to a data base entry where Dropbox keeps track of the file's location dynamically. Sweet! (You can see this working when you paste the link into a browser, and Dropbox changes it to a different link before showing the result.)

Just to be safe, you should perform tests for yourself before making any drastic changes to your Dropbox paths and folders. But, FWIW, I made some major changes to my Dropbox folder structure this weekend, and renamed a directory from AnimeStudioForum to LostMarbleForum, and all my posted Lost Marble forum images are displaying here just fine.

As a matter of fact, it seems you have to intentionally work at it to break the shared link. For example, I found that that if I make a copy of the file and move that to another Dropbox directory, rename it to the same name as the original, and then copy it back to the original location and overwrite the original, this can break the shared link. (Probably because, as far as Dropbox is concerned, the copy has a different link associated to it.) But it you really must to break the shared link, it's easier to just tell Dropbox to remove the link.

Another thing I was worried about was breaking the bitly shortlinks to some of my download links to Dropbox, but this is all good too. Because bitly links to the original shared Dropbox link, nothing is changed as far as bitly is concerned.

Hope this helps!