First explainer video using Moho

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

rafael

First explainer video using Moho

Post by rafael »

Hey guys, just wanted to share a project I finished up recently. The only non-Moho animation is the flying paper which was done in C4D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i82HqA9qc5Q
mrc

Re: First explainer video using Moho

Post by mrc »

Nice character designs and animation! Well done.
I don't like the white background, though.

Marc
You don't agree with the post above? Click here.
www.tricklabor.com/en
DK

Post by DK »

Nice work Rafael!

Cheers
D.K
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Good concept and nicely done! Thanks for sharing Rafael.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Nicely done. The angular style works well with the smooth movements. Only quibbles:
- the giant's head turns are too slow, this design needs fast ones
- the colours clash.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
rafael

Post by rafael »

Thanks guys--I appreciate all the thoughts! I was super excited to work on this project due to the fun, angular style. I should note that while I designed some of the characters, the style isn't mine, it is from the amazing designer Pawel Olek (http://olek.design/)

mrc wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:17 am Nice character designs and animation! Well done.
I don't like the white background, though.

Marc
Yeah, the background was initially light blue but was changed to white to be more on-brand.
slowtiger wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:47 pm Nicely done. The angular style works well with the smooth movements. Only quibbles:
- the giant's head turns are too slow, this design needs fast ones
- the colours clash.
Interesting, I'll have to play around with head turn speed more on the next one. Also, every time I see some work from Victor Paredes I think "Wow, I need to make things move faster!" so maybe I need to put in some work.

As for the colors, I personally don't see it as a clash but they are certainly loud! I surely didn't balance everything out as skillfully as Olek would have and that might be coming into play as well.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Colours are difficult. I don't mind vibrant colours, but I noticed that the turquoise and light blue people in front of the green giant were too close. Also the whole spot lacks warm colours, it is OK to use "brand colours" but just a spot of red and orange here and there works miracles.

One trick I use with clients who insist on brand colours: I try to use "their" colours only for the product, anything else is done with a de-saturated and brightened version of that colourset.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
Penny

Post by Penny »

Very nice work!
Even with the head in the clouds You can touch the ground

https://www.facebook.com/santiago.penny
https://www.behance.net/pennysantiago
rafael

Post by rafael »

slowtiger wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:49 am Colours are difficult. I don't mind vibrant colours, but I noticed that the turquoise and light blue people in front of the green giant were too close. Also the whole spot lacks warm colours, it is OK to use "brand colours" but just a spot of red and orange here and there works miracles.

One trick I use with clients who insist on brand colours: I try to use "their" colours only for the product, anything else is done with a de-saturated and brightened version of that colourset.
I see what you mean, in fact, I had quite a bit of difficulty during the design phase because so many of the colors couldn't successfully be laid on one another. The original designs use various devices to place certain color characters only in front of certain colored backgrounds, which I think is the best way to do it.

I'm going to give your method a go next time, thanks for sharing!

p.s. Thanks Penny!
SuperSGL

Post by SuperSGL »

Nice style really well done, good timing & rhythm too. The white bg probably works great on TV (an eye catcher of sorts)
I have C4D 8.5 I always wished I could afford to upgrade but no go, now I'm trying my hand at Blender 2.8 a little bit cheaper :wink:
"Animation is not the art of drawings that move but the art of movements that are drawn."
Norman McLaren

My Animations
rafael

Post by rafael »

SuperSGL wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:09 pm Nice style really well done, good timing & rhythm too. The white bg probably works great on TV (an eye catcher of sorts)
I have C4D 8.5 I always wished I could afford to upgrade but no go, now I'm trying my hand at Blender 2.8 a little bit cheaper :wink:
Thank you! I haven't upgraded in a long time either. Couldn't even tell you which one I have to be honest. R17 maybe. Blender is looking very sweet these days. If I was doing more 3D work these days I'd probably give it a go.