Does Moho Pro work with iPad Pro?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

DonnyCage

Does Moho Pro work with iPad Pro?

Post by DonnyCage »

Hello,

The other day I lost my iPad, so I bought a new one... then found the old one. Anyway, instead of returning it I thought about using it for animations. But I didn’t know if Moho works with the iPad Pro. I tried looking it up on google. I could only find what iOS is required.

Do any of you use an iPad Pro with Moho? And does it work well?

Thanks,
Donny
rafael

Re: Does Moho Pro work with iPad Pro?

Post by rafael »

There is no Moho for tablets. That said, you could get Duet Display software and use Moho on your iPad. I tried it and while it technically worked there's just too much disparity between using a screen and having a full keyboard.

If you are wanting to do frame by frame I'd recommend checking out Rough Animator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYFDkBUANSE
kimandreasjohansson

Post by kimandreasjohansson »

No need for duet anymore. Sidecar will release in september and is free.=) As long as you have a compatible mac to use it with.

https://www.macrumors.com/guide/sidecar/
Visual artist based in Sweden.

iMac 5K (2017) 3.4 ghz i5, radeon pro 570, 16 gb ram
MacBook Air m1 16 gb ram
obtusity

Post by obtusity »

I doubt you'll find anything at Moho's level on a mobile platform. Not yet, anyway.
Closest I've seen for iPad is Animation Pro: http://www.hotjamdonut.com.au/Animation ... onPro.html
Note: I haven't actually tried it so I don't know if it is any good, but the feature list looks moderately promising. Not equivalent to Moho but seems reasonable for a mobile app.

A Surface Pro, similar tablet PC, or fold-over laptop is probably the closest you'll get if you want Moho itself on a tablet-ish platform.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Not directly but I sometimes use my iPad with Procreate to paint characters for Moho rigging and animation.

Some of the characters in the Hearts Like Fists title animations my wife and I made several years ago were created this way.

Here a link to the titles: https://vimeo.com/123577740

And here's a Procreate speed paint of a 'heart person' from the titles being painted: https://vimeo.com/122948872

(Wow, I haven't watched this footage in years. There are so many things I would do differently now...but, no, I am not changing any of it.) :D
KyroAtelerix

Post by KyroAtelerix »

I have a problem, I hope you can help me.

I am recently today using sidecar + Ipad pro to manipulate my Moho 13.5 pro projects, but when I make a stroke on my Ipad, Moho doesn't recognize it, but when I move the Moho window project to Macbook Pro there appear the lines that I drew before. Do you know what solution? In other software for drawing like Clip Studio, I don't have any problem. I have Big Sur 11.3.1

Sincerely,

Carlos.
Last edited by KyroAtelerix on Sun May 30, 2021 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Meshy3

Post by Meshy3 »

I can recommend Rough Animator app on iPad Pro for getting quick FBF ideas done. Then export them as mp4 and import to Moho to uses as guides later.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I used Rough Animator for a couple of years but I recently switched to Callipeg, and I've been having a blast with it. I wrote the following mini-review about Callipeg in another forum, and I'll repost it here (slightly edited)...

I found an FBF app for iPad that I really like called Callipeg. It's been out for a few years but somehow I learned about it only this past weekend. For an iPad app, it's fantastic. The UI is mostly gesture driven, and it resembles Procreate in many ways. It's been a lot of fun to use once I got all the gestures down, and playing with this app is pretty much all I did last weekend. I used Rough Animator on iPad for a while, which has a lot of good features but the UI is ugly and clunky. Callipeg is prettier and much easier to use.

My only big complaints about Callipeg is that it doesn't support masking or blend modes. But development seems active, so maybe those features are coming.

Callipeg does have alpha lock though, and by default the app lets me fill inside empty layers using outlines drawn in another layer (in other words, no need for reference layers). Oh, and for color filling, Callipeg does one better than Procreate: just double-tap with your finger inside an area to fill. Finally, while Callipeg is primarily an FBF program, it does have a keyframeable Transform layer. To use it, just create a Transform layer and link the drawing layers you wish to animate with transforms underneath it and start keyframing...easy peasy!

Subscription is 99 cents a month, or $50 for a permanent license. After using it for a day, I decided to buy a permanent license because I can see using this app alongside Moho for a few years. Callipeg allows family sharing of the license, so I'm also looking forward to seeing what my child does with it on her iPad. (Sienna currently uses Flip-A-Clip for iPad.)
rafael

Post by rafael »

Greenlaw wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 9:47 pm I found an FBF app for iPad that I really like called Callipeg.
Wow, just checked it out--that looks awesome! What a great time period this is for animation tools. I'd have lost my mind with an iPad, apple pencil, and software like this when I was a kid. I started animating in Mario Paint. lol
BeeListener

Re: Callipeg

Post by BeeListener »

Thanks so much, Greenlaw, for this recommendation of Callipeg. I just downloaded it and love it! As a Moho, Procreate, Photoshop animation, and other ipad animation apps user I really appreciate Callipeg’s design. I love how you can backtrack and constantly change your mind without breaking the animation. While the subscriptions are dirt cheap, I think I’ll get the $50 license too because they seem to be doing a lot of updates. It’s so fun to sit in an easychair with my ipad and just scribble away.