Vector Texturing Ideas?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

DK

Vector Texturing Ideas?

Post by DK »

Hi.
Made this snail in Moho loosely (using my own color preferences) based on the photo on the right and wanted to hear some ideas/suggestions on vector
texturing the skin? Even better an open discussion on vector texturing for anyone wanting to share their Moho tips?

Cheers
D.K

chucky

Re: Vector Texturing Ideas?

Post by chucky »

If you have to use vectors then make all the shapes on a separate layer , use individual shapes for those bumps and give them a soft edge and shading - use style so you can tweak ( make use of transparency ans modes possibly). Mask it out and use a mesh to deform it.

Or use bitmap.
DK

Post by DK »

Thanks Chucky.
Specifically trying to keep it to vectors as it has to go to print and may have to be resized.
I like the mesh warping idea thanks.

Cheers
D.K
chucky

Post by chucky »

No worries cobber, hey nice snail btw :)
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

A technique I've used is to have a greyscale vector image then blend mode overlay that with a coloured layer. x808080 in the greyscale gives you the colour unchanged; "whiter" makes it lighter; greyer makes it darker. The coloured layer can be multicoloured / a group - much as you have there. The detail of the striations / bumps is done in the greyscale. You might try scatter brush for the bumps. Maybe curve profile for the shell striations?
DK

Post by DK »

Hi hayasidist.
Interesting idea I will try thanks. Also, glad you mentioned the scatter brush. I tried to use the scatter brush to add the bumps on the snail but the tool controls are so limited. Pen pressure would make it a lot easier to control the size of shapes being laid down.

Cheers
D.K