horse walk cycle question

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Karl Toon

horse walk cycle question

Post by Karl Toon »

Hi,

I have created a walk cycle for a horse in the actions panel. I now want to go back in and get the head to bob up and down. The problem I am having is that I only want it to bob up and down once in the walk cycle. I have 9 keyframes in the original cycle and when I move the head, immediately at the next keyframe it reverts back to its original position. I can't remember how to get around this problem. I'm sure I found the answer in these forums a few days ago, but now it eludes me. Help please!
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse." - Walt E. Disney
synthsin75

Re: horse walk cycle question

Post by synthsin75 »

That means you've keyframed the head bone. You'll probably need to select that bone and delete all it's action keyframes before animating your bob.
Karl Toon

Post by Karl Toon »

Thanks for your quick response Synthsin75. Could you explain a little more as to how I do that, please? I've tried having the head bone selected within the walk action and gone to each keyframe and selected Bone->Reset Bone, but then I still get the same problem when trying to set my bob.
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse." - Walt E. Disney
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

No, resetting the bone just keyframes it the same as frame zero. You need to select the bone and delete ALL the selected bone keyframes (red channel).
Karl Toon

Post by Karl Toon »

Brilliant. Correct answer. Although for some reason deleting that channel removed all the movement from all the other bones in the action so I tried a workaround, which worked. I copied all the keyframes out of the action and pasted them into the main timeline, deleted the channel I needed, then copied and pasted the whole lot back into the action. That did the trick and making changes with the action now seems to be working as it should do now. MOHO certainly does seem to have its own idiosyncrasies. It makes it hard to learn but it's great that there are knowledgable users like yourself willing to share their hard earned knowledge. Thanks again.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Glad I could help. :wink: