Masking trouble

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

willwillwill

Masking trouble

Post by willwillwill »

Hello
I am trying to have a character jump into a hole in the ground. I masked everything so that in my timeline when it jumps in the bottom of the screen is masked out so the legs, torso and then head disappear into the hole perfectly. The issue is I rendered it and the masking didn't happen. It looks like the character just goes over the hole and through the floor and remains visible. What am I doing that's wrong?

Thank you
slowtiger

Re: Masking trouble

Post by slowtiger »

willwillwill wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:34 pm What am I doing that's wrong?
You used a mask where a simple overlay would do.
Left: what you want. Right: how to do.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

willwillwill wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:34 pm Hello
I am trying to have a character jump into a hole in the ground. I masked everything so that in my timeline when it jumps in the bottom of the screen is masked out so the legs, torso and then head disappear into the hole perfectly. The issue is I rendered it and the masking didn't happen. It looks like the character just goes over the hole and through the floor and remains visible. What am I doing that's wrong?

Thank you
I don't know what are you doing wrong but this tutorial (not mine) is exactly what yo need.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz-EdovZLm8
willwillwill

Post by willwillwill »

Slowtiger
forehead slap, that is obviously what I should do. Thanks.
Daxel,
I am going to try the overlay method but I would still love to know what I may be doing wrong for the next time I want to do a mask.
It's sort of funny but your tutorial was the one I was watching when I was working out how to do this yesterday. The mask is working perfectly in the timeline, she jumps in a hole and disappears inside. It looks really cool actually. Then I render it out and the mask just isn't responding. If anything comes to mind please let me know.
This and all of your other tutorials are always really awesome by the way,
thanks for the help guys!
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Sometime I'll just duplicate the background layer on top of the character and mask that. I guess that's essentially what SlowTiger has recommended.

If you don't want to duplicate the background, applying a mask like what he's drawn in red works directly on the character works well too.

Other times, especially if the bg setup or camera moves are more complex, I'll just ignore the effect in Moho, and make sure I'm outputting the passes I need to composite this elsewhere, like in AE or Fusion. For me, it's usually faster/easier to use Moho for only the animation and leave the compositing to a compositing program.