Updating to Mac Catalina OS

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

voxac50

Updating to Mac Catalina OS

Post by voxac50 »

Have any Moho Mac users updated to Catalina OS yet? I have a relatively new iMac running High Sierra, and I'm a bit reluctant to make the jump, because everything is working fine at the moment.
As I understand it, Catalina drops 32 bit support, and there is no more QuickTime. Has anyone made the move? How does it work? Any problems?
slowtiger

Re: Updating to Mac Catalina OS

Post by slowtiger »

While Moho 13 itself shouldn't even blink, other applications on your Mac may stop working immediately, especially drivers of all kind. I've already heard that Wacom tablet drivers are not up to the task right now.

There's sites and even applications which help you to test your software inventory about 64 bit fitness, and the overall rule should be "don't update now"
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
kimandreasjohansson

Post by kimandreasjohansson »

It's only the ancient 32 bit QuickTime 7 that is deprecated and removed support for in Catalina but it doesn't seem that Moho 13 relies on it anymore. I have been using Moho 13 on Catalina for a few days now and all the export options seems to work as before, like apple pro res and so on.

I haven't noticed anything not working in Moho 13 with Catalina so far but there might always be bugs, so be careful if you have important ongoing projects. You can always install Catalina on an external HD first and try it out with all your apps to be on the safe side, it's very easy.

Lots of new security and permission stuff going on with Catalina so make sure your Wacom drivers are up to date and look over the permissions in the security settings if you have problems with your Cintiq. I noticed a few weird behaviours like offset cursor before I realised that there were more boxes to tick there.
Visual artist based in Sweden.

iMac 5K (2017) 3.4 ghz i5, radeon pro 570, 16 gb ram
MacBook Air m1 16 gb ram
hundleyjared

Post by hundleyjared »

Pro res export (4444) with alpha stopped working for me in Catalina. Is it the same for you?
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

This definitely should not happen. Can you test it with other applications?
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
kimandreasjohansson

hundleyjared wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:03 am Pro res export (4444) with alpha stopped working for me in Catalina. Is it the same for you?
Strange, how do you mean not working? Does it crash while exporting pro res 4444 or are you missing the option? I tried with both premultiplied alpha ticked and without and it works fine with pro res 4444. (Mac OS 10.15.1, Moho 13.0.2)

MacBook Air m1 16 gb ram
hundleyjared

Post by hundleyjared »

Thanks for your responses! Yeah, I have no idea how to fix this or if this is somehow user error. There is no checkbox for alpha channel in Moho like C4D, so it's all automated. It used to work flawlessly.

I export, Quicktime 4444 and it creates a video file just fine. When I bring it into After Effects, there is no alpha channel.

I've tested doing this in Cinema 4D for example, and it performs just fine. Quicktime 4444 with alpha, just like it always has been able to.

I have two macs as well, I've tested this before and after Catalina, and before and after he new Pro Res updates. Feels like a Catalina vs Moho 13 issue.

Can anyone confirm they can create a Quicktime 4444 with alpha out of Moho 13 while running Mac OS Catalina?
kimandreasjohansson

hundleyjared wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:52 pm Thanks for your responses! Yeah, I have no idea how to fix this or if this is somehow user error. There is no checkbox for alpha channel in Moho like C4D, so it's all automated. It used to work flawlessly.

I export, Quicktime 4444 and it creates a video file just fine. When I bring it into After Effects, there is no alpha channel.

I've tested doing this in Cinema 4D for example, and it performs just fine. Quicktime 4444 with alpha, just like it always has been able to.

I have two macs as well, I've tested this before and after Catalina, and before and after he new Pro Res updates. Feels like a Catalina vs Moho 13 issue.

Can anyone confirm they can create a Quicktime 4444 with alpha out of Moho 13 while running Mac OS Catalina?
Oh, sorry NOW I see what you mean! I have only done a few exports so far in Catalina so I didn't notice that the alpha channel is actually not transparent in the exported file. This is really bad, we should report this bug the official way to the developers so that they can look into it. Thanks for noticing this!

MacBook Air m1 16 gb ram