Shading on a 3D shape

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

ScienceAnimator

Shading on a 3D shape

Post by ScienceAnimator »

How do I change the shading on a 3D shape?

I have created a shape and used the 3D option EXTRUDE to add volume. I have applied smooth shading to it, but the boxes to select the shading color and shading density are disabled. They are only enabled for hatched shading. The shading color is black and I don't see a way to change it. What am I missing?

Using Moho Pro 13.0.2

Thanks!
hayasidist

Re: Shading on a 3D shape

Post by hayasidist »

with smooth shading: if you rotate the layer about the x/y axes (or move the camera in 3d), you'll see that the shading on the faces changes intensity according to their orientation with respect to the assumed source of illumination.

if that's not what you want try the "extruded side color" option and choose a colour for the faces that (in the default layer / camera orientation) come out "dark" (property is not animatable) and choose the shape fill colour (animatable) for the "light" face.

You can get cute by using the 3d object as a mask and using a light / shadow layer (overlay blend mode).

or (Moho Pro 13 only -- mentioned specifically because there are still many 12.x users some of whom might be reading this): import a 3d object into a 3d layer and use the "materials" tab to set the reflective properties of the object.
ScienceAnimator

Re: Shading on a 3D shape

Post by ScienceAnimator »

Thanks a lot for the suggestions...you've given me a number of things to try.
Have a great 2020!