Add point to circle

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Jkoseattle

Add point to circle

Post by Jkoseattle »

I want to create a circle with a quarter of it gone. I mean to add points to the existing circle and then hid a segment between two points. But adding a point to a circle warps the circle. How do I simply add points to a circle without distorting it?
Most of the time I'm doing music stuff. Check me out at http://www.jimofseattle.com/music.

Thing I did for work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgFYGqifLYw
hayasidist

Re: Add point to circle

Post by hayasidist »

scripts / draw / split curve will do that …
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

In the Add poins tool options, activate the Icon for Show Bezier Handles and Fixed Bezier Handles.
Then you can add any amount of points without distorting the shape.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I agree with Victor's solution. For now, this is probably the best way to handle it in Moho.

Another option might be to use Stroke Exposure. With this approach, you don't need to change the circle's structure at all, just enter the desired start and end points for the exposure.

This should work for many situations but there is one serious limitation: We can use click and drag and alt-click and drag to expose the visible segment of the path but when using a closed shape, we cannot run the visible segment across the shape's start/end point and have the gap running of the stroek outside of it. This is because the tool doesn't allow negative values as a start or end point. I hope Moho's Stroke Exposure gets an upgrade so it behaves more like After Effects version of this feature which does allow a negative value.

Also, if you warp the shape, the exposed section might slide in an unexpected manner. I believe AE has this issue too. But if you're not doing that, Stroke Exposure might still be a useful trick in this situation.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I've mentioned this before but it would be cool if we could redefine the start point in a shape for Stroke Exposure. If we can't have negative values for Stroke Exposure, this might be a workaround for the problem I described above.

You can sort of do this by adding and deleting a point in the shape (I forget the exact details for this trick but it should be easy to figure out.) However, this method is not ideal for preserving the circle shape as described in your example.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Of course, if the circle shape is always going to be a circle, and the orientation of the path itself doesn't matter, and you decide to use Stroke Exposure, AND you need the visible part of the Stroke to run over the start/end point, you could alway just rotate the circle.

So many choices. This is one of the reasons I do like this program. :)
Jkoseattle

Post by Jkoseattle »

Víctor Paredes wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:14 am In the Add poins tool options, activate the Icon for Show Bezier Handles and Fixed Bezier Handles.
Then you can add any amount of points without distorting the shape.
I've discovered this to be true but I have to ctrl-click to add the points as well as enabling the Bezier options.
Most of the time I'm doing music stuff. Check me out at http://www.jimofseattle.com/music.

Thing I did for work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgFYGqifLYw
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Jkoseattle wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:52 pmI've discovered this to be true but I have to ctrl-click to add the points as well as enabling the Bezier options.
Ctrl switches between Sharp and Smooth corners. If 'Sharp corners' is unchecked in the Add point tool options, it won't be necessary to press Ctrl.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel