exporting help, please

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

soconfused

exporting help, please

Post by soconfused »

Hi!

I'm really new to all of this, but I finally made a few animations and have tried exporting them (I'll be using premiere to put all the scenes together.) When I export, all my scenes play much faster than they do in Moho. What can I do about this? Also, when I play them full screen they don't look as nice. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, if it's the size or what. If anyone could help me out with this, that'd be great.

Thanks,
Kate
myles

Re: exporting help, please

Post by myles »

Hello Kate,
soconfused wrote:I'm really new to all of this, but I finally made a few animations and have tried exporting them (I'll be using premiere to put all the scenes together.)
Excellent. We look forward to seeing your work.
soconfused wrote:When I export, all my scenes play much faster than they do in Moho. What can I do about this?
Have a look at this posting by Lost Marble, which details some approaches to speeding up playback in Moho: http://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=935

Note: If you have Quicktime installed, you can also hit F5 to get a small-sized preview render to check timing.
soconfused wrote:Also, when I play them full screen they don't look as nice. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, if it's the size or what.
Note that full-screen on a computer is much more detailed than most standard TVs and even DVDs, so you only get full quality in a smaller window. What looks poor when played full-screen on a computer can often look surprisingly good on a TV screen.

However, the default project render size in Moho is only 320x240, okay for the internet but too small even for TV. You can change the project size (and improve your full-screen quality) by going to File; Project Settings ... and changing the width and height. Of course, larger sizes take longer to render.

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx
myles

Post by myles »

Further to the last issue, if you are only going to play back your animations on a computer screen, and particularly full-screen, then SWF (Flash format) is worth considering as an export format.

Being a vector format, SWF will scale to full-screen with no significant loss of quality (although any flaws in your design will also scale up).

Drawbacks:
Full-screen SWF doesn't always play back at full speed either.
Using SWF means losing a lot of Moho special effects and features that aren't supported properly or at all in SWF or don't otherwise translate across - blurs and soft edges, gradients, masking, many variable width lines, noisy outlines and fills, brushes, shadows and shading, image warping, 3D layers, etc.
SWF isn't as easy to edit afterwards.

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Full screen playback on the computer has other factors effecting the quality...

CPU
hard drive speed
screen resolution
video card
video codec

... probably others I missed.

For instance... a DVD looks fantastic full screen on a computer... because you have a DVD drive dedicated to pumping out those frames fast enough to look smooth. You have a compression codec for DVD video that is wicked fast pumping frames to the screen...

Then you go to video output from Moho or other applications. So many options for compression codecs. Some make small files that look bad... some make big files that look and play better.

You also have video cards at different levels of performance. And the CPU... can't forget the CPU. Remember that any video player software like QT or others is actually decompressing and recompressing each frame as it is shown. Any slowdowns in the pipe line will effect it.

My Mac is really kind of slow. I can't play most of my QT stuff full screen smoothly... the computer just bogs down. But... this depends on the size of the movie and which codec I used.

If you experiment you may find the right codec in QT and just the right size that plays full screen pretty well.

-vern
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

You can boost the performance of you video card of your Mac somewhat with a program called ATIccelerator II. However, be careful using this prefpanel, because it is possible to fry your videocard if you use too high frequencies for a long time. This app is used most often for playing 3D games (e.g. Unreal Tournament) more fluently.