What's New In MoHo?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Postality

What's New In MoHo?

Post by Postality »

I haven't heard anything about a new version or anything in a while, where has Lost Marble Gone?

What's happening behind the scenes of the MoHo Project?

Lost Marble, Can you give us SOMETHING or should I say ANYTHING on the upcoming release(s)?

Your Fanatic fan needs to know!

MoHo and Papagayo truely the masterpieces of 2D animation.
Anime Studio - Ultimate Game Graphics
Rai López

Re: What's New In MoHo?

Post by Rai López »

Postality wrote:...where has Lost Marble Gone?
Well, at first I frightened too when LM was dissapeared for a long time, yes... now I think I start to become accustomed :roll: ...But well, I thing that the actual situation begin to be propitious for something like a "urban legends" :), so here is the first and most common by myself:

:!: Guys, colleagues, friends... did you know our loved LM has died of a... drug overdose :| :( :cry:, and... ahmm... yes, someone that have read it have told to me, so it must be absolutely true :roll:, I'm sure so... Tell to others! :o

PS: Jas-jas...
Postality

Post by Postality »

Oookay, if you made any sense at all I may be able to give you a reasonable reply.

Unfortunately I have no idea what you're talking about.
Anime Studio - Ultimate Game Graphics
jorgy

Re: What's New In MoHo?

Post by jorgy »

Ramón López wrote:
Postality wrote:...where has Lost Marble Gone?
Well, at first I frightened too when LM was dissapeared for a long time, yes... now I think I start to become accustomed :roll: ...But well, I thing that the actual situation begin to be propitious for something like a "urban legends" :), so here is the first and most common by myself:

:!: Guys, colleagues, friends... did you know our loved LM has died of a... drug overdose :| :( :cry:, and... ahmm... yes, someone that have read it have told to me, so it must be absolutely true :roll:, I'm sure so... Tell to others! :o

PS: Jas-jas...
Ramon, tsk tsk. How many times do I have to tell you? Each time that that Lost Marble seems to be quiet and away for a long time an exciting and feature filled update is right around the corner!

:oops:
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

I can imagine it gets harder and harder with every upgrade version to improve on the earlier version without introducing bugs. There are some serious problems reported with the current version (e.g. no actions possible in the Mac version), but for some reason LM cannot reproduce some of the reported bugs.

And as I discovered in the Cocoa Radio podcast, lone software developers have a hard time indeed, because they have no partner(s) to rely on for the daily grind of coding (the boring part of development where you put things together so that it works as expected). Inventing new things is fun, but making sure that it works with existing code is a pain in the arse. If you team up, you can help each other to pull the project through this part of software development. Even so, it takes a considerable amount of discipline to deliver a program that is reliable and has that wow factor we users long for.

I think for further development of Moho, LM should partner up with an experienced crossplatform programmer who he trusts. Where to find such a person?
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

It is difficult being a lone programmer, especially when a new baby arrives in the family - my time has been very occupied recently! Anyway, (as usual) I have no comments regarding future versions of Moho except to say that I'm working with someone right now to try to get some help supporting and developing the product. Hopefully that's going to work out and will help Moho move into the future.
7feet

Post by 7feet »

Congrats, there, LM! Glad you have a hand there, new kids can be demanding lil' beasts.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

No actions on Mac?????

Don't know how that rumor started.
I use actions all the time on Mac.

-Vern
ulrik

Post by ulrik »

I'm also using actions on mac, it works all the time.
I'm running os 10.4.5 on a powermac dual 1.3gig
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

Here is what I get when I create a new action (see screenshot below):

I'm running Mac OS X 10.3.9 on an eMac 1.25 Ghz. Perhaps I should upgrade to Tiger, but I'd rather wait for Leopard (10.5) later this year.

LM, congrats with the upcoming new addition to the family. And regarding the partnering up, that is a wise decision.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I am also using 10.3.9 and I don't get these errors.

Maybe it is specific to certain types of animation layers or something.

-Vern
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

I will try to completely remove Moho from my computer and reinstall Moho. See if that helps. I will put my findings in a new thread.

Edit: That helped. I reinstalled Moho and now those problems with the Action window are gone. I described how to re-install Moho on Mac OS X here.

Edit2: I think I traced down the culprit. When I installed the Crashcore scripts, the problems with the Action window reappeared. After I deleted the Crashcore scripts, the problems with the Action window were gone. I have PM'd macton on this and asked if he could look into this.

Edit3: I think I also found a workaround, which I posted to macton through a PM. Simply delete this snippet in every Crashcore script:

Code: Select all

print ("Error: Creating new objects in the middle of an action can lead to unexpected results")
        print ("Stop all actions and restart the script.")
These print messages opened the Lua monitor and kept printing when an action was activated, even when the Crashcore scripts weren't used. All Crashcore scripts with this feature tried to print error messages, one after the other, which used up all available processor time and made Moho unresponsive.

Removing these error messages shouldn't affect the script's functionality. Some scripts will not work inside of actions; this has always been so. The only difference is that the script doesn't tell you why it is not working. If you realize that, you are in the clear.

BTW If the error messages are to be reinstated, they should be put in another part of the script, where these error messages are only printed when the script is called through Moho's menu, and not by default.

So from now on: Don't use menu or layer scripts inside of actions.

I'm sorry if I was too off-topic here, but the problem was discussed in this thread and it needed to be solved. I suspect there are other third-party scripts with similar problems.
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

jorgy wrote:Each time that Lost Marble seems to be quiet and away for a long time an exciting and feature filled update is right around the corner! :oops:
...Jaja, and it seems that the feature don't was such a thing but a new CHILDREN! CONGRATUATIONS! :D I'm very happy of all be SO well and too cause my "urban legend" had been finally denied :roll:, thing that, in the other hand, is always a very sad thing :( (I was planning apread the rumour of that LM had been "deep freezed" then too ;)), but well... Oh! :shock: And it seems that another marble is on board?!?! WOW! Let's see what fate has in stone for the new "Lost Cherrys" company :) ...GOOD LUCK WITH ALL! :D
Last edited by Rai López on Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jackthegiantkiller

Future of Moho...

Post by jackthegiantkiller »

I can tell you that this program is generating some major interest in animation studios here in NYC. We just used it for a full character rig in a series of spots, and people would be willing to pay a lot more for this program if it were taken to the next level. I introduced Moho to one studio and wound up having the ENTIRE floor behind me watching a demonstration of what it can do. They were simply agog, as most use After Effects' annoying parenting method to create far less organic movement.

And while everyone at my current project is quite giddy about the possibilities, they've also become aware of some of its shortcomings: no importing/exporting actions - no copying/pasting keyframes between the same rigs - timeline shortcomings such as needing to scrub keyframes around for an entire character and its subfolders at once (rescale keyframes is too limited) - the slower redraw on Mac OSX - etc.

I would seriously consider bringing in more partners/capital/developers/whatever it takes to expedite the growth of this amazing program and take the burden off your shoulders. Particularly now that your shoulders are also covered in baby spittle!

Again, kudos for creating such a great and promising app.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Don't raise the price too much... ;)

If LM goes down that road it ends up like all the other expensive tools currently available. Before you know it... it won't be able to stand out.

Yes, programs like Moho can be used professionally but their real power is access to the hoi polloi. The common man... the underpaid aspiring artist desperate to produce something that looks great on the cheap.

A child could buy Moho with money earned cutting grass over the summer.

There are a lot more customers like that than large production studios looking for "pro" tools and that market is pretty saturated... and occasionally... the hoi polloi produce better stuff.

-Vern