Moho 13.5 is almost here!

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Tylos

Re: Moho 13.5 is almost here!

Post by Tylos »

It's great news..
Not sure what are Moho future plans. But i hope it will be connected whit "Cartoon saloon" and it will be a bit more orientated to Professional grade. I know its one of the cheapest animation program and maybe not orientated only to sudios.. but i woud be nice... Also it wuold be great to have gallery of projects made whit moho as for example celaction has (https://www.celaction.com/en/production ... -tv-series). Because it might help make decisions for producers;). As I talk to producer it's hard to show something(I am not long time user of moho). Only I can say "Cartoon salon use it"... and "Puffin Rock".. but examples mostly very limited....
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Tylos wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:34 pm Only I can say "Cartoon salon use it"... and "Puffin Rock".. but examples mostly very limited....
Technotise: Edit & I
Secret of Kells
Song of the Sea
The Breadwinner
Wolfwalkers
Dennis uses it for various works at DreamWorks Animation.
Last edited by synthsin75 on Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pihms

Post by pihms »

Awesome news! Looking forward to it's arrival!
Tylos

Post by Tylos »

synthsin75 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:25 pm
Tylos wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:34 pm Only I can say "Cartoon salon use it"... and "Puffin Rock".. but examples mostly very limited....
Technotise: Edit & I
Secret of Kells
Song of the Sea
The Breadwinner
Wolfwalkers
Dennis uses it for various works at DreamWorks Animation.
Thanks.. but "Cartoon saloon" mainly uses moho as secondary software.. and TVpain is the main.. OR I am wrong? Only "Technotise: Edit & I" is fully made by moho?
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Tylos wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:31 pm Thanks.. but "Cartoon saloon" mainly uses moho as secondary software.. and TVpain is the main.. OR I am wrong? Only "Technotise: Edit & I" is fully made by moho?
Very few animation productions are made with just one software. These all show Moho successfully used in a professional studio pipeline.
But as budgets tighten, you either find a faster way or outsource the animation jobs to cheaper labor markets.
F3G2

Post by F3G2 »

Hola, yo tengo anime studio 12.5, pero con la actualización de Mac Os Mojave ya no pude seguir usándolo y tuve que desinstalarlo. ¿Puedo adquirir la actualización a 13.5 con la promoción que tendrá? ¿No importa que este desinstalado? Es decir, antes solo con el número de serie se podían conseguir las actualizaciones, ¿seguirá funcionando así? O ¿Tendría que estar instalado el programa? Saludos!
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

F3G2 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:38 pm Hola, yo tengo anime studio 12.5, pero con la actualización de Mac Os Mojave ya no pude seguir usándolo y tuve que desinstalarlo. ¿Puedo adquirir la actualización a 13.5 con la promoción que tendrá? ¿No importa que este desinstalado? Es decir, antes solo con el número de serie se podían conseguir las actualizaciones, ¿seguirá funcionando así? O ¿Tendría que estar instalado el programa? Saludos!
Si creo, pero no segura.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Tylos wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:31 pm Thanks.. but "Cartoon saloon" mainly uses moho as secondary software.. and TVpain is the main.. OR I am wrong? Only "Technotise: Edit & I" is fully made by moho?
I don't work at Cartoon Saloon, but based on my experience with various animation programs, we use what's appropriate for a given task. I believe CS is the same: they use Moho for special story segments in their movies, and they seem to use it throughout their TV productions.

For example, at home, I use Moho for rigged animations, TV Paint for FBF, and Ae or Fusion for comp and effects work. And at my workplace, I use Moho for nearly all my rigged animations, Harmony for FBF when I need it, and Ae or Nuke for compositing and fx.

If you look at my demo reels, especially the 2020 one, you'll see most of the cartoon animation I do is created in Moho. The many 2D segments for Boss Baby: Back In Business are entirely animated with Moho and composited in Ae. The little bits of Kung Fu Panda I have on that reel are all Moho + Ae too. But it can vary: Trolls, for example, is almost entirely Ae, and with some 3D elements animated in LightWave.

When we use Moho, it's mostly to create short 2D 'fantasy' or 'backstory' segments for 3D shows. We like it because we can animate quickly for this task, with a smaller crew, and we are able respond quickly to last minute changes. (That last point is critical in TV production.)

And Moho is very flexible. for example, we've had success when asked to develop and animate the rigs to look like FBF animation. Heck, I've even built and animated rigs in Moho that convincingly look like 3D animation. 😺
Last edited by Greenlaw on Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:15 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Tylos

Post by Tylos »

Thanks, great demo real.. It's good to know Production Proven cases... I will keep your works in mind...

P.S. I am also using Lightwave for some 3d task :)..
Tylos

Post by Tylos »

synthsin75 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:35 pm
Very few animation productions are made with just one software. These all show Moho successfully used in a professional studio pipeline.
But as budgets tighten, you either find a faster way or outsource the animation jobs to cheaper labor markets.
Yes, that's true.. But I like the idea of having one main software... Then it a bit's easier to manage resources(for TV).. Then you have rig and so on.... I seen some good examples whit celAction.. I will need to think...
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

The best thing is to try each program for yourself. Build an original character in each program and make a short animation. Then, you'll be able to determine which one works best for the type of animation you need to create. Both Moho and CelAction2D offer free trials on request. (Remember, Moho 13.5 comes out tomorrow; I'm assuming the new demo will be out then too.)

Here are some considerations for Moho...
...I like the idea of having one main software... Then it a bit's easier to manage resources(for TV)
Technically speaking, Moho is able to 'do it all', but it's probably more important that Moho plays well with other programs. Moho's Layer Comps, for example, seems to made for working with After Effects, and I use it all the time for splitting out scenes and generating custom matte passes. Moho also supports layered PSD from Photoshop, and SVG from many vector drawing programs. (Although, I prefer working with separate PNG layers for imported bitmaps; reasons explained elsewhere.)

Some of the shows I've worked on use artwork created in Photoshop which is rigged and animated in Moho (notably. Puss In Boots, and The Croods,) but in the case of Boss Baby, and some of the King Julien episodes I worked on, the character artwork is drawn directly inside Moho because we needed greater control over how the art deforms with the rigs. IMO, Moho excels at this.

Cost is a big factor at smaller studios, and certainly for 'indie' artists. Moho, IMO, is very affordable for the features it offers, some of which are not available in more expensive programs.

Moho does have some shortcomings: IMO, the freehand tools can use a bit of love, and creating FBF is a little clunky when compared to other dedicated FBF programs. I'd like to see future releases pay more attention in this area. I definitely prefer Moho for rigged puppet animation, but when I need an FBF element, my workplace provides other options for me to work with, like Harmony, Animate, and even Photoshop. (And, of course, there are free options for FBF like OpenToonz and Krita.) For now, it's helpful that Moho works well with these and other programs, but I'm pretty sure improved native freehand and FBF for Moho is in the works.

Finally, now that Moho is back in the hands of its original creator, I can say with confidence it has a very bright future. I've met Mike a number of times, and I believe he's genuinely interested in how his baby is used by artists, and he's dedicated to making Moho the best it can be. I've also know Victor for many years, and I've even worked with him on a few DWA shows, and he's one of the most talented and inventive Moho artists anywhere. With these two in charge, you can expect Moho to keep improving and innovating for years to come.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
aongus

Post by aongus »

Greenlaw wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:05 pm
I don't work at Cartoon Saloon, but based on my experience with various animation programs, we use what's appropriate for a given task. I believe CS is the same: they use Moho for special story segments in their movies, and they seem to use it throughout their TV productions.
There’s an interesting article on the Blender site that makes the same point. Apparently Blender was also a part of the Wolfwalkers pipeline, with 3D being used to support the hand-drawn 2D animation process.

Even in static illustration (my field) it makes sense to use three or more programs in a single piece.

https://www.blender.org/user-stories/2d ... lfwalkers/

BTW, thank you for sharing your demo reel :D
Tylos

Post by Tylos »

Yes what's true... I tried most programs already:).I liked celAction(we made 20min tv episdod) but it was a bit outdated at the time(I haven't tried CelAction 4). Whit moho we make short now(10min).. Mostly I like TvPaint but producer don't whan't FBF animation. So at moment we between 2d puppet and 3d animation. But 3d is far to expensive and it's much harder to make it localy in Lithuania. We still in develpment and searching for funding and so on.. it might be years until production...

Also, what the project is from 0:43 in your Demo Reel (2019).. I think producer is looking for somthing like this:)...

Moho's Layer Comps - i nead to try that... PSD working fine.. exept lithuanian names in files...

some rig from coming short
http://tyluskinas.lt/FILES/t.JPG

It's my porfolio in case somebody will be intrested... mostly it's my solo projects and that i can shear....
https://vimeo.com/tylos
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Good show reel Tylus! Thanks for sharing the link. I'll be back to check out your other videos.

I've never used CelAction2D so I'm not able to compare it with Moho. Some of the work I've seen done with it looks very nice though.

The one 'all-in-one' animation package I've worked with is Harmony. I've used it to make puppet rigs for some of our shows, but, for me, Moho is easier and more capable for this type of animation and it's my current preference. I do use Harmony for its FBF features, which are excellent, but if Moho's freehand and FBF tools got a little better, I'd probably use that instead, at least to create the small bits of FBF I occasionally need in my Moho projects, like effects (splashes, fire, etc.,) and occasional poses that I can't do easily with the rigged puppet alone.

That said, for major FBF work, I'll probably still want to use a dedicated FBF program like Harmony or TVPaint, so I'm probably always going to need at least two animation programs. :)
ruscular3d

Post by ruscular3d »

I just saw that its a free upgrade from Moho 13
I jump for joy, and cant believe I miss that.
I have no idea what is new in store for tomorrow, as I have thought the last update moho 13 is just awesome as it is. The suspense is killing me!