Your top features :D

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

JoelMayer

Your top features :D

Post by JoelMayer »

Yes, i know, kinda mean since Moho 13.5 has barely dropped but i'm really excited about the software and that it's alive and well again!

SOOO i would be interested to hear from you, what your top wishlist would look like for future features for Moho :)

Mine looks kinda like this:

- Easy way to mix Smartbones – Basically just mixing Smartbones to get things to work without much guesswork. I.e., sometimes an element of a face works great while in 3/4 view but as soon as you turn the head with a smartbone, that OTHER smartbone might look wonky. So would be nice if we could just adjust the things by saying when this bone AND this bone is turned, then do this and that... if that makes sense.

– A BIT more complete Frame-By-Frame tool and assistance for line interpolation: I don't think Moho should become as feature complete as some other software that already do a pretty good job at it. However, there will always be situations, where you won't get around a bit of traditional animation (i.e. body turns, more extreme perspectives, etc.). In such cases, it would be awesome to have a bit more support for classical hand-drawn animation. Blender has a neat Add-On called GP-Desk, where it shows you the individual lines that should be drawn in what order, so it can automatically interpolate between them, generating automatic inbetweens. Kinda the Cacani approach. I think Moho is set up perfectly to get a similiar feature. What's missing is just kind of a reliable, more intuitive workflow for the ol' freehand drawing and filling workflow. If Moho adds a few more tools for that, i would never have to switch software again and could switch over to doing quick fbf shots with some point motion and some bones from the usual rig. That would make for a lot of possibilities for more dynamic scenes.

Here's a demonstration of the hints option in GreasePencil (GP Desk Add-On)

https://youtu.be/WpTguwcV6tM

– Viewport Update: i find that the viewport is a bit laggy by today's standard. That's probably due to the fact that it's pretty old. I'm no technician but maybe porting the whole thing over to Vulkan/MoltenVK could help this? Compared to something like Toon Boom it's just not as snappy (yet).

– Better integration with other apps: it would be awesome to get some sort of quick way to send Moho scenes to both After Effects and something like Blender including Camera Data without the need of 3rd party scripts.

– Lose the "blinking" when clicking on menu items – This has been around forever and is probably a left-over from the BeOS days, but i think it would save us precious seconds to just lose the little blinking the software does, when selecting an item from a drop-down.

– Keyboard shortcuts for new vector layers – Title sais it all.

– Maybe rethink the keyboard shortcuts – To me, keyboard shortcuts are more about ergonomics than about using the first letter of a tool. Atm, Moho's tools shortcuts are all over the keyboard. There's a reason software like Maya uses W,Q,E, etc. as shortcuts: the keys are right next to each other :) So i think we could speed up quite a bit of workflow by adjusting those (i know i can set them up myself tho in the shortcut menu).

– Style palette overhaul: the style palette and coloring in general is one of the more confusing areas of Moho and something that throws a lot of beginners off. I think it should be adapted to work a bit more like Animate CC or Toon Boom, where you "hide" the whole vector aspect of it a bit more and make it work more like a traditional painting software.

– Let us dock the tool windows wherever we want.

– Using Splines/Vector lines as bones – This is something Toon Boom has and it's super useful for more "rubber hose" style characters. Instead of bones you basically use a vector line with bezier handles as a deformer. It was really something i quite enjoyed when doing my last project in TB Premium.

That's all so far, Moho is really a great tool and i'm excited to see it become even better with every release so congratulations to the team again :)
x-vishon

Re: Your top features :D

Post by x-vishon »

Well I agree with most all of these the main thing I would like to see is more rigging tools.

I would love to be able to set up sliders, knobs, toggles with labels if they are controlling switch layers. I understand you can build interfaces that don't render but just a simple vertical / horizontal slider for some things as an option for how to operate a smart bone could be more intuitive.

Seeing quadwarp makes me want something closer to deformers for some elements on a character would be nice to have some simple Bezier handles around a vector or raster and manipulate it with curves as well.

Masking improvements would be good as well, being able to mask Lines and fills separately in a simpler fashion would be nice.

Viewport improvements would be nice.

The fill effects and line effects interface could use an overhaul.

There are several scripts in the community that have features that should have been in the official version for some time. would love to see some of the more popular ones fleshed out and built in.

The abilities to easily collapse or hide unused timeline channels to clean up the timeline view and declutter would be nice.

Also a X/Y controller would be nice in some manor. Like a box with a center dot that can control two variables and merge between them. This could work somewhat like a master controller in harmony for head turns. Or for mouths like have all the main mouth shapes on switch on the horizontal and have the vertical effect mood, happy, mad, sad... ect.

I would love to see bitmap painting come back for doing smudging and smears fbf style but I can understand why it was removed. it needed more work and I hope the next version has a more stable feature rich version.

In some future update some better effects and compositing tools would be nice.

Lastly... I think it would be good if a project could have a scene manager to switch between scenes and a timeline for cutting between them.
JoelMayer

Post by JoelMayer »

Good input! As mentioned in another topic it‘s been a while since i‘ve used Moho and i‘m happy i‘m back but i can also see the age of the UI. Maybe it‘s my Interaction Design degree speaking but another thing i think would be beneficial: put the right mouse click to much more use. It could come in handy in so many situations yet seems to be severely underused by Moho in a lot of areas. Also a sort of customizable quick select menu would be great!
Borchc

Post by Borchc »

I hold on!