Tracing

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Borchc

Tracing

Post by Borchc »

Image tracing in Moho works very poorly.
I think that this tool needs to either be modified to a digestible quality. Or delete it altogether.
Because the result that is being obtained now is absolutely bad.
Borchc

Re: Tracing

Post by Borchc »

Up
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

Tracing tool is universal. Just import image and lower the opacity.

Dale
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Do you mean the Select Tracing Image command under View? If so, yeah, it's just ok. It does the job but with limited options.

I prefer to import an image as normal, and then, as Dale suggested, reduce the opacity of the layer. Then I create a vector layer above it and trace in there. The advantage with this is you can transform the 'tracing' layer to the size and position you need; with Trace Image, you cannot.

Tip: You need to enable GPU acceleration for the image layer to stay semi-transparent as you trace over it; otherwise, it will become opaque every time you click in the vector layer. (Thanks for the tip Wes!) I normally keep GPU acceleration switched off when working in Moho (for better masking preview representation,) but this is one situation where I will switch it on...at least while I'm tracing. (Note: Select Tracing Image does not have have this problem, so I guess that's one reason to use it.)

Another option is to enable Fade Unselected Layers from Views. I use this option very rarely, but It's good when you need to temporarily fade all the layers while focusing on the currently selected layer. Works fine for tracing when you're using multiple layers for reference.

Or do you mean the Trace Image command? I agree it's not as advanced as auto-tracing features in dedicated vector drawing programs like Adobe Illustrator, but it's fine for getting certain graphic looks, which I think is all Moho's Trace Image is really meant for. But it you want something to process video or images for a 'toon' look in Moho, you're probably better off doing that in a compositing program like Ae or Fusion, and then importing the result to Moho.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Vector Magic is a really good tracer. Or you could try the online app Auto Tracer, which is not bad (and free).
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Good suggestions jahnocli! I wasn't aware of those options.

I don't normally use auto-tracing tech, but the one in Adobe Illustrator was super useful to extract separate ink passes from my bitmap drawings so we could get Puss-in-Boots crew shirts made.

BTW, I should have mentioned that one compelling reason for auto-tracing bitmaps for animation is scalability or resolution independence, since the result is vector art.

The downside when using auto-traced vector art for puppet rigging is that the points are plotted arbitrarily, which is not ideal for bones deformation and point animation. Fixing this requires manually re-drawing and optimizing the art, so it's often better to draw the artwork using Moho's Add Points to begin with.
3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

Greenlaw wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:42 pm
I prefer to import an image as normal, and then, as Dale suggested, reduce the opacity of the layer. Then I create a vector layer above it and trace in there. The advantage with this is you can transform the 'tracing' layer to the size and position you need; with Trace Image, you cannot.

Tip: You need to enable GPU acceleration for the image layer to stay semi-transparent as you trace over it; otherwise, it will become opaque every time you click in the vector layer. (Thanks for the tip Wes!) I normally keep GPU acceleration switched off when working in Moho (for better masking preview representation,) but this is one situation where I will switch it on...at least while I'm tracing. (Note: Select Tracing Image does not have have this problem, so I guess that's one reason to use it.)
I'm glad I saw this. I'm still learning 13.5. I clicked on "Import Tracing Image" and didn't realize I had another choice. I prefer to scale and position my tracing images in GIMP. I guess I could reduce the opacity in that program
Cheers, Larry
Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

When I want to trace an imported drawing, I usually do this:
  • Create a vector layer above the drawing.
  • Create a big white rectangle on the vector layer, big enough to cover the drawing.
  • Lower the opacity of the layer to 70% or thereabouts.
  • Rename the layer something like "white haze."
This simulates looking at the drawing through a sheet of tracing paper.
3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

Hoptoad wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:35 pm When I want to trace an imported drawing, I usually do this:
  • Create a vector layer above the drawing.
  • Create a big white rectangle on the vector layer, big enough to cover the drawing.
  • Lower the opacity of the layer to 70% or thereabouts.
  • Rename the layer something like "white haze."
This simulates looking at the drawing through a sheet of tracing paper.
I'm a little late seeing this but that sounds like an excellent idea. I have used "GIMP" to isolate and arrange a set of images that I can import as image files that I can trace when I'm building a character.
Cheers, Larry
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

When manually tracing ("Working from reference") I normally just reduce the opacity of the new vector layer/s (so they are partially see through), but will try the "white haze" method next time.

It is also a good idea to have a duplicate scaled down version of the source image offset to the side so that it can still be used for visual reference and most importantly color picking, as the new artwork develops and the source starts getting obscured.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam