'use selected bones for flexi-binding' is not possible

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

p8guitar

'use selected bones for flexi-binding' is not possible

Post by p8guitar »

I'd be very glad for help - what's wrong when the 'use selected bones for flexi-binding' command is greyed out?
Screenshot:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsNedAPvuG2thXjKiId ... W?e=ahBWQZ
I select the head layer, then I select a bone, but the 'use ....' command is not available. :?

I reset all bone rigging for the head layer, but this didn't help.
Here's the moho file:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsNedAPvuG2thXnOEL9 ... M?e=2PAcEQ
synthsin75

Re: 'use selected bones for flexi-binding' is not possible

Post by synthsin75 »

You're trying to selective flexi-bind a group layer. It only works on image and vector layers.
p8guitar

Post by p8guitar »

synthsin75 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:04 pm You're trying to selective flexi-bind a group layer. It only works on image and vector layers.
Ah! So I have to select all layers in the group layer, then it works. Or use layer binding.

for some odd reason, I didn't have the layer binding command available, only the select bone command, regardless which layer or group (bone layer or anything else) was selected. After some fiddling around, all the bone commands are available again, but I don't know how I got there. Sometime I have the impression I'm struggling with the software 90% of the time and being productive 10%. I hope this will get better when I know more of the pitfalls...
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Use Selected Bones For Flexi-binding isn't be available for a Group layer because you may need to use different binding methods or wish to use different sets of bones for the layers within the group. The command is only available for the two layer types that can be bound with this method, vector and image.

To use this binding method, you select select the bones you want to bind to, select the layers you wish to bind to those bones, and then apply the command. Luckily, you can apply this command to an entire selection of layers at once, and do not have to do apply it one layer at a time.

Selective Flexi-binding is actually very easy to do once you've done it a few times:

1. Press B (Select Bone Tool) and select the bones you wish to use for binding.
2. Select all the layers you wish to bind to those bones. Use Shift-click for consecutive selections, and Ctrl-click to for arbitrary selections.
3. Press Shift-Ctrl F. (Same as using the menu command but faster.)

And it's done.

Once you've mastered this, you can rig an entire character very quickly. Many of fhe earliest puppets I created at my workplace (Puss In Boots, All Hail King Julien, etc.,) were rigged using primarily Selective Flexi-bind.

When starting out, I suggest sticking with one method like Selective Flexi-bind and get really familiar with its strengths and limitations. It's easy to use and it should work for most basic puppet needs. When you run into a situation where this method fails or you feel it could be better, one of the other methods should provide a solution. The two main binding methods after Selective Flexi-bind are Layer Bind and Point Bind. These methods use a tool for binding, and you can learn more about them later. You should get really comfortable with Selective Flexi-bind first.

As for that 90/10 productivity ratio, keep at it, it does get easier. When I started using Moho years ago, I struggled for a few weeks. A lot of this was because Moho worked differently from other animation programs I used. Once I got over the fact that there are differences, something just 'clicked', and I've been a very productive Moho user since. :D

Here's an extra tip: If you're unsure about which binding method to use, it's easy to mess things up and get stuck with what appears to be a broken mess. When that happens, just select all the 'broken' layers and choose Reset All Bone Rigging from the Bone menu. This resets the selected layers to use the default global Flexi-bind. (Not to be confused with Selective Flexi-bind.) Then, just try again with the method you want to use. I find this is a lot easier to do than wasting time trying to undo my mess. Note: Be sure to select the layers you want to reset first. If you don't select any layers, Moho will assume you want to reset all the layers.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Mon May 17, 2021 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
p8guitar

Post by p8guitar »

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation and tips!
Yes, resetting the bone binding is probably the best way. Most of the time it's difficult for me to analyse or re-engineer the bone binding when I don't remember what I did... :lol:
I think this will be easier when I know what the slightly different look of the bones and point mean according to the type of binding (bolder look, colors etc.).