Donation Area

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

DK

Donation Area

Post by DK »

How about a new section on the forum for "Donations" where we could support people who spend their time writing the scripts we all use?
Any thoughts?

Cheers
D.K
SimplSam

Re: Donation Area

Post by SimplSam »

I think people could/should post their Patreon/BuyMeACoffee/Paypal/Venmo/KickStarter/FansOnly links in their signature.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
chucky

Post by chucky »

My youtube hasn't that many videos but I do have a buy me a coffee button... No one has ever used it, but they do ask for more tutorials.
DK

Post by DK »

I've also used donation buttons in the past and they just don't get much use. Just thinking a more combined "Official" type donation supported area might work? I know most people on the forum are kind and willing to donate their time but people still need to be paid. Even a place for commissioned rigs Chucky? A little bit of money helps the soul :)

D.K
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

To be honest I rarely donate.
I do give away things i have no use for.
The neighbors kids was playing with remote control cars and ask if i had any. They just want to play with them. But I gave them two cars and two motorcycles and a charger for the battery's. That was 3 years ago.
I gave away a tablet.

But like most people I don't donate. And It's rare if I do.

So overall it is just a bad idea. Who's going to collect and who get the proceeds?

Dale
DK

Post by DK »

Yes. You have been very generous duey. in this area no one would collect other than the person who is commissioned or lists their script etc. The idea is to have a collective community where it is understood that things are free for a donation. It's merely a discussion.
Cheers
D.K
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

It never dawned on me to simply put my PayPal in my signature. I guess somewhere between modesty and not being the kind of person who really asks for anything. To be honest, I write the scripts I release publicly to either help a specific request and/or just to see if some idea can be done, just out of curiously and as a challenge. I also do paid, proprietary scripting, and there have been a few people I've helped (usually on non-scripting stuff) that have asked for a way to show their appreciation. Anything is welcomed, but I hate asking for donations and I'd hate for any scripter to feel left out if any donations were talked about on the forum.

So I'm all for donation links in signatures, but I'm not so sure about a dedicated spot on the forum. Things like commissioned work can go in the jobs sections.
chucky

Post by chucky »

That's a good idea Wes, the signature line.
Or how about with the actual script post?
I'm pretty sure many of us would throw something in there, although right now my contributions would probably only be insulting :oops:
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

I never thought of it until Sam mentioned it above.
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

chucky wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 2:20 am ... although right now my contributions would probably only be insulting :oops:
I generally like the concept of Buy me a Coffee/Beer/Cake. So in your mind you are not paying for the product/service, but instead you are you are simply saying thanks and value of that thanks is not meant to be equivalent to the value of the provided service. Sometimes a few dollars here and there in the tip-jar are enough collectively for a few treats and a little reward.

I see LM have an upcoming AddOns page: https://moho.lostmarble.com/pages/addons. Not sure what that have planned, but maybe that will allow for more commercial opportunities.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
rafael

Post by rafael »

For something really useful, I'd just straight-up put it on Gumroad and charge a fee for it. Why not? I spend money all the time on scripts/plugins for after effects. If something is really useful, you should be compensated for it, especially if you're already making free tutorials. Use the script in the tutorial? Mention that if they want the script they can follow the link in the description and get it for 99c or $1.99 or $19.99 or whatever you think is appropriate.

That's my 2c anyway!