Blending modes for Fill effect #1

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

rafael

Blending modes for Fill effect #1

Post by rafael »

Was just trying to figure out how to color a vector layer with an image texture. As far as I can tell, this requires two separate layers, one with the color, and one with the texture. If I'm missing something, please let me know!

:idea:
Now, Imagine how cool it would be if you could just use one layer, set Effect #1 to "plain", select a blending mode for Effect #1, and then add the image texture to 'Effect 2'? Eh? Eh?
Greenlaw

Re: Blending modes for Fill effect #1

Post by Greenlaw »

Can you show an example of what you're trying to do?

Normally, I just use the Image Texture effect. For example, that was how I textured the Puss In Boots rig; almost all of the the body parts are vector layers with Image Texture applied. This allowed me to use a lot of morphing tricks to fake 3D movements, like in the hat and head animations.

Hearts Like Fists was almost vector shapes with tiling Image Texture effect too. I found this was usually faster and more efficient to work with than importing high-res texture images. (I was working on a 4GB notebook at the time.)

For these projects, the trick was to select a rough brush for the Stroke, and apply the same Image Texture effect to color the brush stroke. This makes the art look like it has torn or rough edges.

Sometimes, I'll use a masking trick to fill a vector with a texture. There are a few advantages and disadvantages to doing it this way. Sorry, I'd have to think about it for a minute to tell you what they are, but I'm a bit busy now. I'll follow up later with more info (if I don't forget.) :D
Last edited by Greenlaw on Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Oh, wait...I think I understand what you want now.

Yeah, using masking might do what you want. That will allow for blending modes with the textures. (There you go: that's one advantage.) :)

Note that blend modes in Moho are only visible in a full render; you cannot see the blend effect in the workspace display.

The way I've been doing this is to output layers using Layer Comps and then using the layer blend modes available in After Effects. You can see an example of this with the Kung Fu Panda footage on my 2019 reel. I usually prefer doing it this way because Ae is more visually interactive about blend modes, which gives me more freedom to experiment with the final look.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

rafael wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:30 pm Was just trying to figure out how to color a vector layer with an image texture. As far as I can tell, this requires two separate layers, one with the color, and one with the texture. If I'm missing something, please let me know!

:idea:
Now, Imagine how cool it would be if you could just use one layer, set Effect #1 to "plain", select a blending mode for Effect #1, and then add the image texture to 'Effect 2'? Eh? Eh?
yeah - I've wanted blend modes at the shape rather than layer level since forever ago.

I use this technique a lot: greyscale "texture" overlaid by colour vector -- e.g. http://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewtop ... 6&p=196167 and this: https://youtu.be/KFcyaKehHxc is almost all done that way - fields / mountains / trees / house ...
rafael

Post by rafael »

Greenlaw wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:13 pm The way I've been doing this is to output layers using Layer Comps and then using the layer blend modes available in After Effects.
I hear you on that one! I use Shift+- in AE all the time to cycle blending modes. Oh well, guess I'll just continue to use masking for now. I might try No worries though, it's really just a fun little personal project to discover more of what Moho can do for me. Btw, when you say "output layers using Layer Comps" are you referring to the DS Layers to AE?
hayasidist wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:00 am I use this technique a lot: greyscale "texture" overlaid by colour vector
Yeah, that seems to be the ticket if you're having to do this inside of Moho. Maybe they'll add the blending option in a few more forevers. :p
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

rafael wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:31 pm Btw, when you say "output layers using Layer Comps" are you referring to the DS Layers to AE?
I'm not sure what 'DS' Layers are, but I'm talking about using Moho's Layer Comps window to create special passes for compositing.

At the most basic level, Layer Comps can be used separate a project by foreground, mid-ground, background and character passes, and a more advanced use can be to create custom mattes and texture passes. Then, using Moho Exporter, I use the Split button to automatically break out the passes and render them.

For me, a custom matte pass might be an element that lets me apply light and shadow effect inside a character and not just round the outer edged (like along an arm that crosses in front of the body, or on an inside feature of the face.)

A texture pass can be as simple as the full texture image parented to a rig's root bone so it follows the character. This texture can then be punched out in compositing (i.e., Ae) using the character pass as a matte, and applied using a fancy blend mode of your choice. But sometimes I'll go an extra step and bind the texture image to the character's skeleton; this makes the texture deform with the character's motion, avoiding the 'Chowder' look when it's comped over the character. An example of this latter trick can be seen in the Kung Fu Panda footage on my reel.

The compositing itself could be done inside Moho of course, but as mentioned earlier, I gain way more flexibility and interactivity when I do this inside a dedicated compositing program.

I mentioned this in another thread recently but here are some tips for using Layer Comps:

1. Always make 'master' Layer Comp before creating your 'render' Layer Comps. This way, you can easily switch back to your full render version of your project.

2. After adding your project to Moho Exporter, set the render output path before you click the Split button. Moho will output each Layer Comp to that path but with a separate folder for each Layer Comp.

3. Moho Exporter includes the 'master' comp if you created one. Since you don't really want to render this pass, you should delete it before clicking the Start button.

4. Before clicking Start, you should use Save Profile to save the current batch list. One of the few things I dislike about Moho is that it doesn't really remember the preferred output path for a project, but you can assign a specified path to the Profile file, so when you load it for a future render, everything should be set up and ready to go, including the preferred path. For me, using this option more reliable than remembering to select the output path from the Destination list, assuming my preferred path still exists in that list, or browsing to the preferred location again, every time I want to render the project. (Ideally, the preferred output path should be embedded in the Project file itself, maybe in the Project Settings window. Still hoping LM will add this feature...it will simplify the render process, and eliminate my inevitable 'wrong path' errors.) :)

Hope this helps.
rafael

Post by rafael »

Whhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaatttttttt [head explodes]. I had no idea such a thing existed in Moho! I will absolutely be checking this out. Sounds similar to a multi-pass compositing workflow out of a 3D program. Very cool! Guess I'll just abandon my 'Only use Moho' experiment, and just embrace it as only one part of the equation.

Thank you! :mrgreen:
Last edited by rafael on Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

rafael wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:19 pm Sounds similar to a multi-pass compositing workflow out of a 3D program. Very cool! Guess I'll just abandon my 'Only use Moho' experiment, and just embrace it as only one part of the equation.
Yes, that's basically what it is. The Layer Comps window is an essential tool (along with Moho Exporter) if you composite Moho in another program like Ae or Fusion.

As useful as it is, I wish Moho's Layer Comps had a few special 'mode' options like, for example, an option to render the selected Layer Comp as 'Outline Only', or to render it as Alpha Only (Matte). Heck, why not a normals mode, or motion vectors mode? Surface (style) IDs or, even better, Cryptomatte? These modes and other special modes would be super useful in compositing or game development.