Recovery File Location?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

rafael

Recovery File Location?

Post by rafael »

Just had Moho crash while I was trying out the new quad mesh functionality. Normally Moho is absolutely fantastic about recovering the project on the next open, but this time (and a few times over the last couple weeks of working in 13.5) it didn't open the project, and told me the JSON was bad--or something like that anyway. Is this file still located somewhere?

Follow-up question: Is there no auto-save in Moho?
synthsin75

Re: Recovery File Location?

Post by synthsin75 »

The auto-save is where you're getting the corrupted files. You can look in C:\Users\*user name*\AppData\Roaming\Lost Marble\Moho Pro\13\Autosave to see if any good files or backups are still there.
There have been some problems in 13.5 with auto-save and stability, but hopefully the next update(?) will help with that.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

AutoSave is kinda broken in the current 13.5 release, and it likely caused the crash you experienced. I suggest turning AutoSave off until the next update is released. You can disable AutoSave from Preferences/Documents.

Unfortunately, I suspect your file is damaged and not recoverable. In addition to disabling AutoSave, I suggest making incremental saves throughout the day, especially after making major changes to your project. (IMO, users should be doing this in any creative program anyway. It's risky to rely on a single saved version.)

For future reference, the files are saved here (on Windows):

C:\Users\[Your user name]\AppData\Roaming\Lost Marble\Moho Pro\13\Autosave

You might need to enable 'Show hidden files, folders, and drives' to see this location.

Hope this helps.

Edit: I must be typing too slowly. Wes' beat me to it again! :)
Last edited by Greenlaw on Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rafael

Post by rafael »

synthsin75 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:53 pm There have been some problems in 13.5 with auto-save and stability, but hopefully the next update(?) will help with that.
Sure hope that get's fixed! Moho's stability/crash recovery is (was?) one of the strong points of the program.
Greenlaw wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:05 pm I suggest making incremental saves throughout the day, especially after making major changes to your project. (IMO, users should be doing this in any creative program anyway. It's very risky to rely on a single saved version.)
Oh absolutely. I version up fairly often. Still, auto-save is a crucial tool to have in the war against lost work!

Anyway, thanks for the help y'all. I unfortunately couldn't recover the project, but have since decided not to use quad-mesh in the animation anyway. :p
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

You can also use the Help > Show Autosave Files link Image

And I highly recommend cloud backup - for backups.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Whaaa? Somehow I missed this new feature. Nice!

Thanks for the tip SimplSam. :)
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Yeah, I had either missed or forgotten that. Thanks, Sam.
rafael

Post by rafael »

I'll third the 'thanks', that's super convenient.