A mode that covers the screen display with a translucent black mask.

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

mionorz

A mode that covers the screen display with a translucent black mask.

Post by mionorz »

When I introduce MOHO rigging to other users, I place the black mask at the top of the layer.

When the black mask is made semi-transparent and displayed on the screen, the paths of the bones and meshes appear to cooperate.

This is also useful when working. It is very useful and makes manipulation much easier.

The black mask will not be rendered, but you can enable this setting when exporting the preview. You can see the movement of the bones clearly.

I would like to see this implemented as a display feature.
You can turn it on and off like a video safe zone. It would be useful to be able to switch the view with a shortcut.
synthsin75

Re: A mode that covers the screen display with a translucent black mask.

Post by synthsin75 »

I wrote this tool a while back, but wasn't sure if anyone else would have a need for it. The first time you use it after starting Moho, it lets you select two different colors for objects, like bones and vectors. Then every time you click it it toggles between this two colors. Helps see them with different art. Don't know if it will help in your case.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cor8w67q5vwmz ... r.zip?dl=0
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

That's very clever!

I've used darkening the background color or changing the base color of Bones for a given situation to improve bone visibility, but your idea seems more universal. I'm going to try it out today. If this works as well as I can imagine, I agree that it should be a native display option. (It's like the inverse of being able to darken the outside of the render area with a semi-transparent color that we have now.)

Thanks for posting your idea.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Hi Wes,

I just saw your response. Will give your script a try too. Thanks for posting the link.
mionorz

Post by mionorz »

synthsin75 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:32 pm I wrote this tool a while back, but wasn't sure if anyone else would have a need for it. The first time you use it after starting Moho, it lets you select two different colors for objects, like bones and vectors. Then every time you click it it toggles between this two colors. Helps see them with different art. Don't know if it will help in your case.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cor8w67q5vwmz ... r.zip?dl=0
Thank you for the script.
I think this method is also effective.

Ultimately, a feature like visual support in Windows or accessibility in smart phones would be ideal.

It would be nice if MOHO had options and shortcuts to easily customize and switch mask display and bone color while working.
I think it would increase my productivity. :D
rafael

Post by rafael »

OMG I can't believe I never thought of this! Sometimes I just can't get a bone color to have enough contrast to be clearly visible. What a great solution. Thanks for posting this feature request!
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

You could also try and create a black image and set it as a tracing image (View > Select Tracing Image... <ctrl/cmd> + <Y>), then you could toggle it with a shortcut (View > Show Tracing Image <ctrl/cmd> + <U>).
The only drawback is that it doesn't cover the entire viewport or in orbit mode, only what's in the camera (the part in the viewport within the purple rectangle).

And if you want to go down a rabbit hole, you might be able to draw a translucent black shape over the viewport by modding the lua tools with LM_Graphics:BeginShape() etc.