Windows Script writing application?

Moho allows users to write new tools and plugins. Discuss scripting ideas and problems here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

heyvern

Windows Script writing application?

Post by heyvern »

For many MANY MANY years I've been using a program ONLY available on mac called BBEdit to do all of my text editing, script writing, minimal programming etc. I loved that program. It was fantastic and expandable, scriptable etc. It had the ability to create projects that kept everything organized etc.

So, dang it, I have moved to Windows and looking for something "as good" as BBEdit. For now I am using Notepad++. It has a similar look and feel also has many plugins available. I am just curious what tools or apps the other scripters use. BBEdit is a paid product so I am willing to pay for something comparable for Windows. I just want to make sure I get "the best one"... or... close to it.
synthsin75

Re: Windows Script writing application?

Post by synthsin75 »

I like a lite editor without too many bells and whistles, so I use Notepad2. I've made it replace Windows Notepad and have added Open in Notepad context menu entry.
http://www.flos-freeware.ch/doc/notepad ... ement.html
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows ... all-files/
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

I really like Sublime, it’s available on both macOS and Windows and is both simple and full of useful features.
Stan

Post by Stan »

I really like Notepad++, it's my tool of choice. I'd also suggest you to try Microsoft Visual Studio Code - it's free and extremely powerful, and it's getting more and more popular, especially for those who does html/css/javascript.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Thanks guys. I checked them both out.
Notepad2
I can see the desire for simple but I must have code folding, especially when scripting for Moho, or the occasional html editing I do now. It's odd, code folding is so standard but Notepad2 specifically says they don't have and probably won't. Oh well.

Sublime
I like this one. It looks like a winner. My main problem, and I have been havinv a HUGE problem finding anything on Windows that does file comparisons and differencing as easily as BBEdit on mac
BBEdit has a compare feature that lets you simply just click two files in a project or open in the app and click "compare". Documents appear side by side with arrows to transfer differences from one side or the other, either the whole thing or one line at a time. I have tried a bunch of text editors for Win and can't find a single one that does this. Except of course for merge specific products that don't have the other features of a robust text editor.

I installed the Compare side by side plugin for Sublime but that only shows the differences and won't merge or allow single line merging. I have to copy and paste one line at a time and then re-compare the files to see the update. I tried Sublime Merge but it's WAY overkill and too much for what I do with scripting in Moho. (although, hmmm... it would make sense to use Github for scripting and keeping track of versions. I probably should learn how to do that better).

Notepad++ has a plugin that works pretty well but has the same dang issue... no easy one click to copy single line differences.

I will keep searching. In the meantime Notepad++ has the best compare plugin I've found. It's funny that they claim there are a bazillion options for replacements of BBEdit on Windows but I've never found this one feature in a basic text editor.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

heyvern wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:38 am Thanks guys. I checked them both out.
Notepad2
I can see the desire for simple but I must have code folding, especially when scripting for Moho, or the occasional html editing I do now. It's odd, code folding is so standard but Notepad2 specifically says they don't have and probably won't. Oh well.
Yeah, I actually hate code folding, so it suits me very well. Not for everyone.
My main problem, and I have been havinv a HUGE problem finding anything on Windows that does file comparisons and differencing as easily as BBEdit on mac
BBEdit has a compare feature that lets you simply just click two files in a project or open in the app and click "compare". Documents appear side by side with arrows to transfer differences from one side or the other, either the whole thing or one line at a time. I have tried a bunch of text editors for Win and can't find a single one that does this. Except of course for merge specific products that don't have the other features of a robust text editor.
I like WinMerge for file comparison/merging. Since I like lightweight, I prefer the separate app.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Dangit. Jumped to wrong conclusion. The below statement is not correct. It displays "arrows" that look functional but aren't. Still have to copy and paste by hand. Oh well. The search continues. I may have to use Winmerge after all :)

Sublime wins!
Hahaha! Found the correct plugin for what I need for Sublime. It's called "Sublimerge". It appears to be a beta but works almost identical to the feature in BBEdit. Thank goodness.

p.s. I am the opposite. I hate having to switch applications to do something that should be possible in just one. I've been using BBEdit for probably 25 years. I still may get Sublime Merge as well for doing "proper programming" and keeping versions and a history. I have NEVER done that properly.