VEGAS Movie Studio 17 Suite

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

SuperSGL

VEGAS Movie Studio 17 Suite

Post by SuperSGL »

Till July 13th you can get this software for $79.99 Comes free with BorisFX and New Blue Elements 3. I purchased the DVD as well for back up and cost me about $95 total. They also have a newer version 18 but I'm assuming very costly looks like a different format as well (not sure)
I had Corel Video studio 19 and crashes all the time wont even open some files I created with VS18 it would crash...so moving on.
"Animation is not the art of drawings that move but the art of movements that are drawn."
Norman McLaren

My Animations
SuperSGL

Re: VEGAS Movie Studio 17 Suite

Post by SuperSGL »

FYI I just found out that the new version of Movie Studio 18 is no longer from VEGAS. Magix bought it up and it also sounds like it's not even the same software anymore. You can still get VEGAS Pro (but that's a lot of money)
"Animation is not the art of drawings that move but the art of movements that are drawn."
Norman McLaren

My Animations
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Update: This post is no longer accurate. I've since learned that Magix has actually dropped the Vegas Movie Studio project, and renamed another product Movie Studio. See the post by superSGL below for the current info.

Actually Magix has owned Vegas Pro and Vegas Movie Studio for the past five years. Previously, these programs were owned and sold by Sony.

Vegas Movie Studio is the 'lite' version of Vegas Pro. Movie Studio has the same interface but many of the 'pro' features have been taken out.

I've been a Vegas Pro user for nearly two decades and I use it for all of my personal projects. It's a powerful video editor that's also easy to learn and use.

They also sell a music program called Acid Pro and Acid Music Studio. I like Acid because the UI is nearly identical to Vegas, so if you know one program, it's easy to learn the other. (I believe Acid pre-dates Vegas. I started out with Acid Music Studio, which is the 'lite' version of Acid Pro.)

I see they dropped the 'Vegas' part from the names of the 'lite' version of programs, but I think they're still the same programs. The re-naming is probably just a marketing thing.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:17 am, edited 5 times in total.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Update: The info in this post is outdated and inaccurate. Sorry, my bad. Please see the post by superSGL below for current info.
Greenlaw wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:59 pm I see the dropped the 'Vegas' part from the names of the 'lite' version of programs, but I think they're still the same programs. The re-naming is probably just a marketing thing.
Funny...I'm looking at the Movie Studio pages on their website, and I see they're being careful to not show the program interface, or to show it as little as possible. If you look closely in the pics, you can see that the UI does look identical to Vegas Pro. So, yeah, I think the recent renaming is a marketing effort to separate the two products.

I haven't used Movie Studio, but based on the descriptions, it appears to have many of the powerful features in Vegas Pro, and it's mainly missing the ones professional users care about the most, like support for unlimited tracks and high end video formats. Many hobbyist users will probably be fine with Movie Studio's feature set.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:18 am, edited 4 times in total.
SuperSGL

Post by SuperSGL »

Found this on YouTube the Movie Edit Pro was a Magix software they re labeled as Movie Studio Pro. There was a screen shot of the software and it looks more like Corel Video Studio.
Norman McLaren

My Animations
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

SuperSGL wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:02 pm Found this on YouTube the Movie Edit Pro was a Magix software they re labeled as Movie Studio Pro...
Ok, that's not right. In the past, when the software was owned by Sony and after Magix purchased it, Vegas Movie Studio had always been the 'lite' version of Vegas Pro. By replacing it with a completely different product from Corel, and not making this clear on their website, seems like a bait and switch.

I guess I understand why they did this--previously there was very little difference between Vegas Movie Studio and Vegas Pro beside a few high-end features and of course the price. But I'm disappointed in Magix about this. I mean, it's fine if they wanted to cancel Vegas Movie Studio...I get that...but to swap it with a completely different product without informing the buyer who might assume they're getting the 'lite' version of Vegas Pro, well, that's pretty sketchy.

Anyway, please ignore what I wrote earlier about Vegas Movie Studio and Vegas Pro comparisons. I still think Vegas Pro is a fine editor but I cannot endorse the new Magix Movie Studio. Not meaning to dismiss Magix Movie Studio--it's probably fine too, but I just don't know anything about it and I don't wish to mislead anybody.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Here's some official information from Magix Vegas Pro forums about the Vegas Movie Studio/Magix Movie Studio switch...

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/ ... 8--130442/

It seems previous users of the old Vegas Movie Studio program can either migrate to Magix Movie Studio, or if they wish to continue using Vegas they can upgrade to Vegas Pro 18 for $99.

I guess that's okay but, man, could they have come up with a more confusing strategy?
Last edited by Greenlaw on Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fvbdbfg

Post by fvbdbfg »

SuperSGL wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:17 pm Till July 13th you can get this software for $79.99 Comes free with BorisFX and New Blue Elements 3. I purchased the DVD as well for back up and cost me about $95 total. They also have a newer version 18 but I'm assuming very costly looks like a different format as well (not sure)
I had Corel Video studio 19 and crashes all the time wont even open some files I created with VS18 it would crash...so moving on.
If you are looking for a cheaper video editing software, you have many other options. As far as I know, there are many free online video editing software, and there is also a movie video editor that allow you to try it out before deciding whether to buy it. I remember that TunesKit AceMovi also provides recording and split screen functions. Hopefully my answer is helpful to you.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I always felt weird about "Vegas Pro". I associated it with Las Vegas. That dirty, grimy, dangerous late night drinking and gambling, shady women feeling seemed to transfer to the software and I was never comfortable using it. I know I know... very weird.
SuperSGL

Post by SuperSGL »

heyvern wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:07 pm That dirty, grimy, dangerous late night drinking and gambling, shady women feeling seemed to transfer to the software and I was never comfortable using it. I know I know... very weird.
Don't hold back tell us how you really feel :P :lol:
I just wanted an editor that didn't crash all the time like Corel's Video studio. And version 17 is still the Vegas line. I've already started using it and so far so good!
Norman McLaren

My Animations