Cutout puppets

Seen some cool animation lately? Share it with the rest of us.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

dkwroot

Cutout puppets

Post by dkwroot »

I found this really interesting channel made by a Japanese artist. She makes puppets using cutout style animation and puppeteers them beautifully.
I imagine it would be possible to make something like this using Moho to design and test the cutout parts, then transferring to cardboard.

DK

Re: Cutout puppets

Post by DK »

Thanks for posting this. They are amazing!!!
Cheers
D.K
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

Very cool!
dkwroot

Post by dkwroot »

DK wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:52 am Thanks for posting this. They are amazing!!!
Cheers
D.K
I thought so too. I think this would be a really fun arts and crafts projects for those of you with children/grandchildren.

I'm actually trying to figure out what the control mechanisms are like. I imagine that they're either rings, rubber bands or just string tied around the fingers.
DK

Post by DK »

I found this on youtube. It's a bit long winded for what it is but it does show how they make some of the rotating parts.

Cheers
D.K
dkwroot

Post by dkwroot »

That's really cool, DK.

I've been thinking about this a lot and I think I figured out how the skeleton is made.

She is probably using popsicle sticks for the bones and paper clips for joints. Basically, she bends the paperclip so that it's straight, then hot glues it to the cardboard. She then makes a hole in the popsicle stick and runs the paperclip through it. Then she just bends the clip to secure it and cuts away any excess. When 2 limbs meet, she glues the paperclip to the limb in the foreground and runs through both sticks before bending and cutting. She might even put a small amount of plastic on both sides of the popsicle stick to reduce friction.
DK

Post by DK »

Found this interesting. I imagine a lot of shadow puppet rigging could be utilized to rig some of these types of puppets.

Cheers
D.K
DK

Post by DK »

Here's an interesting bunch of cut out paper concepts. Some creepy old circus stuff in there too similar to the feel in Chucky's music video.
https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/117797346476396362/
Cheers
D.K