Focus Timeline on selected Layer

Moho allows users to write new tools and plugins. Discuss scripting ideas and problems here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

JoelMayer

Focus Timeline on selected Layer

Post by JoelMayer »

Hi again!

I'm really sorry for floating this forum, but i'm really getting seriously back into Moho again after being absent for a couple of years and mainly using Toon Boom so a lot of open questions :) Just dove into 3rd party scripts now though and really like what i found so far! Will make life so much easier for sure!

Again, apologies if this already exists, but in Toon Boom there is a great feature, where i can press a button or a shortcut and it automatically focuses my timeline and node view on a selected piece of artwork. This is very handy when working with a lot of layers or complex rigging situations.

With Moho i think this would also be nice! Imagine you have like 5-10 layers visible in your timeline by selecting them and you want to quickly focus on another layer that you selected. Right now i have to manually scroll through the timeline vertically to find the selected layer (granted it being exposed to the timeline). What i propose is that you select the layer, click a button or a shortcut and it automatically scrolls to the respective layer in the timeline, if it is exposed to it.

Really simple idea really but could be a nice quality of life improvement.

BTW, is there a way to sort my icons of the "Other" section of my scripts somehow manually? Right now it made a real mess and i'd like to sort them myself and put the icons that are i.e. from the same tool next to each other etc.

Thanks a ton!
synthsin75

Re: Focus Timeline on selected Layer

Post by synthsin75 »

Sadly, there's no scripting access to the timeline vertical scroll.

You can sort your tools either through Edit>Preferences>Tool Layout (a bit clunky) or modifying the tool_list.txt in your Scripts>Tool folder manually.
JoelMayer

Post by JoelMayer »

synthsin75 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:15 pm Sadly, there's no scripting access to the timeline vertical scroll.

You can sort your tools either through Edit>Preferences>Tool Layout (a bit clunky) or modifying the tool_list.txt in your Scripts>Tool folder manually.
Ooooh i knew there must be a way! Thank you so much! Learning something new every day :)

Too bad about the vertical scroll but mayber Lost Marble can expose this in a future update, i think this would be quite handy ;) Will open a feature request. Thanks again!
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Re: Sorting 'Other'. The Other category is kind of a catch all for scripts you haven't assigned to a group yet, and I think you can only sort items you've assigned to a group.

So...what you need to do is assign your scripts to a group so you can sort them. You can do this in Preferences...

For example, here i've created a group called Favorites, and I have sorted my third party script in the order I want. To create the Favorites group, I clicked the Add Group button and then I sorted the items there using the Move Up/Down buttons. So with the settings above, my Tools Window looks like this...

When all the scripts are assigned to a group, the Other category will disappear. So, after I moved the last two items into Favorites, I get this...

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
JoelMayer

Post by JoelMayer »

Thanks for the detailed reply, i managed it myself in the meantime but this will surely be useful for other people having the same question :)