'Western Space Odyssey' adds a ship!

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

rikberryere

'Western Space Odyssey' adds a ship!

Post by rikberryere »

Greetings all,

I rarely poke up here - spare time is a rare and very hard to come by in my real-life job as a truck driver, and as a result I tend to do my creative thing with very little time for online social interactions. I've been goofing around with Anime Studio since 2010 with version 4.5, and upgraded to Pro 10 to begin work on a sci-fi parody movie called Western Space Odyssey. Took about five years of quiet, dogged persistence, and convinced a small group of nutbar friends to join in with music scoring + voices.

The movie is essentially finished (1 hr, 56 mins) and is just wrapping up with audio post production, hopefully to arrive on YouTube in a month or so to at least dozens of views! Dozens baby!

I switched to Moho 13.5 and am experimenting with the new software - and wow, what an amazing magic box of toys it is! I'm debating going ahead with a sequel to WSO - I wrote a script, and am rigging artwork for the ships and characters, but the prospect of spending another five years toiling away is pretty daunting. If the first movie actually generates some interest, I'd consider sharing the workload because 1, I barely know what I'm doing, this is something I've done for fun, and 2, I was lucky to attract a small circle of highly talented, enthusiastic artists/musicians who donated their considerable talents and time. If we do this again, I'd really like to see everyone get compensated for it, but that's a realm I know nothing about.

And, again, my job as a truck driver really takes up a serious chunk of my time - not to mention the responsibilities of life, family, pets, gardens, a neglected model railroad (sigh) and whatever else life decides I need to deal with this week.

But whatever happens... I still love exploring the animating possibilities and chasing that 'I wonder if this will work' idea.

I'd like to share a trailer for WSO that went up a year ago, and an exploration of one of the starships reconfigured using Moho 13.5

Thanks for letting me hang with you guys - I'm kinda living the dream here!

Last edited by rikberryere on Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have no idea what I'm doing... so tally ho, eh?
Franky1966

Re: 'Western Space Odyssey' close to completion

Post by Franky1966 »

Looks very nice and also as a LOT of work. Keep up the good work!
rikberryere

Post by rikberryere »

Franky1966 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:58 pm Looks very nice and also as a LOT of work. Keep up the good work!
Thanks! Yeah, it's a lot of work, but watching it come to life is something I couldn't have dreamed back in the day! The idea that one person can actually make this happen is kind of astonishing. The tools we have at our fingertips nowadays - for a few hundred bucks, yet - is amazing. The only liability in the whole project is my own lack of experience and skill; and as long as I keep nudging that along, we get there.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

That's fun! :D

Thanks for sharing the preview and good luck with the production.
rikberryere

Post by rikberryere »

Greenlaw wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:52 pm That's fun! :D

Thanks for sharing the preview and good luck with the production.
It is fun, isn't it? Discovering cool, slick little things that look cool - even if it takes utterly ludicrous, absolutely ridiculous amounts of work - are a delight!

Thanks for the thumbs up - I'm a bit hesitant to show stuff, considering the talent that hangs out here and I'm just a hobbyist playing with ideas thudding around in that annoying part of my brain. But I'm here to learn, and what better way? Anyway, back to the work board. Currently experimenting with Vitruvian bones... watch some tutorials... experiment some more... watch some tutorials... rinse & repeat, with frequent breaks for civilized servings of Cinnamon Rum Cream.
Little Yamori

Post by Little Yamori »

Your enthusiasm for the project really comes through, keep it up. It's all of our individual enthusiasm for animation that keeps creativity flowing!!

Good Luck with your endeavors!!
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

On your channel, I saw a clip for this project as far back as 2015. That must've taken some determination, but congrats -- you made it! Can't wait for the final movie!
3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

Your spaceship is outrageous :D and your artwork is gorgeous. I'm studying the way you drew the cowboy hat. Wow! I like it.
I want to redesign my YouTube homepage character and I started working on a baseball cap because the fedora is a little dated but then I saw your hat :idea: and decided to stay with the same basic homburg-ish style. I lost my files for that character which was done with ASP7 so I'm going to modify it.
Cheers, Larry
rikberryere

Post by rikberryere »

So, I've shown what the starship 'Toasted Western' looks like after a revamp with Moho 10.5.2... now the TribeShip "Redbone" gets the makeover! This was my first use ever of a mesh to manipulate vector layers, and I'm SOLD. It allows me to create a cool 'lateral roll' effect that really gives the ship the appearance of maneuvering in space! Thank you Moho!

SuperSGL

Re: 'Western Space Odyssey' adds a ship!

Post by SuperSGL »

We haven't seen the first one yet and I'm already looking forward to the second one! Very nice work! Your sound design is very professional. For me this can make or break a good animation IMO. Good luck!
"Animation is not the art of drawings that move but the art of movements that are drawn."
Norman McLaren

My Animations