How do I disable the bones changing size?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

GHOSTYMPA

How do I disable the bones changing size?

Post by GHOSTYMPA »

In the new Moho update, I noticed one of the features was that bones would get smaller as you zoom in. I personally do not like it because it makes them harder to use with the mouse. Is there any way I can turn it off?
https://youtube.com/ghostympa
i make youtube videos with animations in them
Daxel

Re: How do I disable the bones changing size?

Post by Daxel »

GHOSTYMPA wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:45 pm In the new Moho update, I noticed one of the features was that bones would get smaller as you zoom in. I personally do not like it because it makes them harder to use with the mouse. Is there any way I can turn it off?
Bones don't get smaller as you zoom in, they mantain their thickness regardless of the zoom, so when you zoom in they look relatively thinner compared to their lenght but actually their thickness remains the same. As they explained, it was done to improve the visibility of the art and I like it, but maybe they should consider adding an option to choose diferent thickness sizes if more people have problems with the default one.

What are you finding harder to do with the mouse?
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

What I've observed is that new bones actually get slightly wider when zoomed in. For example...

I think it's an optical illusion that they seem to get 'thinner.' But practically speaking the width stays reasonably the same as you zoom in and the bone shouldn't get more difficult to select when zoomed out. I think the new bone width behavior just takes some getting used to because it's unexpected.

For me, one possible downside with the new bones is that I think it's harder to see the bone colors. But this doesn't have to do with the new behavior; it's probably because the new bones are thinner than the bones we had in Moho 12.5. I might be imagining it but I'll compare with 12.5 tonight and see if the colors really look any different.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

Whilst the bones should maintain their max width, they can effectively appear thinner as you zoom in and the base (greatest width) moves further away. This should not necessarily affect your ability to grab & manipulate the bone - as you don't need to 'touch' a bone to move it. Just need to be close/closest to it.

One area where it does feel a lot better is when you actually resize or scale the bone. The static size of Pin bones is also beneficial when zooming.

I am sure it will grow on me, but as this was quite a radical change - I too think it should have been optional (or had some options) - which also goes for the disabling of Relative Keyframing at every start-up.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
GHOSTYMPA

Post by GHOSTYMPA »

Daxel wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:29 pm
GHOSTYMPA wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:45 pm In the new Moho update, I noticed one of the features was that bones would get smaller as you zoom in. I personally do not like it because it makes them harder to use with the mouse. Is there any way I can turn it off?
Bones don't get smaller as you zoom in, they mantain their thickness regardless of the zoom, so when you zoom in they look relatively thinner compared to their lenght but actually their thickness remains the same. As they explained, it was done to improve the visibility of the art and I like it, but maybe they should consider adding an option to choose diferent thickness sizes if more people have problems with the default one.

What are you finding harder to do with the mouse?
With the old bones, I found it easier to select the bone to move because it fit the size of what it was moving:

However, I now find it really hard to manipulate bones because they take up very little space now:
https://youtube.com/ghostympa
i make youtube videos with animations in them
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I do see what you mean.

For me personally, while I appreciate that a rig with the new bones can appear less 'cluttered' now, the base width is so much thinner than what we had in 12.5 it's become harder to see the bone color. (I use bone color a lot to designate their purpose and relationships.) But as your example shows, it's just harder to see the bones in general now. It will be nice if the base size could be user defined (for both regular and Pin bones.)

That said, selectability and manipulation shouldn't be much harder because, as simplSam noted, you don't need to click directly on the bone to manipulate it, just near the bone region you want to manipulate.

Hopefully, Moho can offer more options for this feature in the future to satisfy a wider range of user needs. :)
Last edited by Greenlaw on Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Greenlaw wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:57 pm That said, selectability and manipulation shouldn't be much harder because, as simplSam noted, you don't need to click directly on the bone to manipulate it, just near the bone region you want to manipulate.
After writing that, I've been paying attention now to how I manipulate bones in Moho, and it's funny how much latitude Moho gives you to be only 'near' the bones to manipulate it. I didn't realize till now how incredibly sloppy I am about this: I'm not clicking and dragging anywhere close the bone, and yet somehow, Moho still lets me be precise about what I want to do with it. (Thanks for helping me look better than I actually am Moho.)

Still want that 'thicker' option though. 😸
Lychee

Post by Lychee »

Hello everyone.

It's been a while since I started moho, and I took advantage of my forced vacation (I'm sick of covid) to get back to it.

So I'm discovering this update which I don't know anything about apart from this resizing of the bones, and I must say that I'm not a fan of it.
I'm the type to build complicated creations that sometimes require superimposing a few bones, and in this case the new update bothers me to access certain bones.
When I click on a desired bone, I often find myself clicking on another one and having to play with the shy option to get my way.

So I agree with GHOSTYMPA, an option to disable it would be a good idea.
sang820

Post by sang820 »

:shock: Yes, the tiny bones make it hard for me to find them and manipulate them. Another solution ----- only show bones of a specific color. This seems to already be scripted, hopefully adding an official feature. :shock:
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

sang820 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:41 am Another solution ----- only show bones of a specific color. This seems to already be scripted, hopefully adding an official feature. :shock:
Yes, Lukas wrote a script like that and it works well! But since I tend to use bone colors a lot, I'd rather have the ability to keyframe visibility for individual bones that doesn't involve using bone colors. This way the visibility of any bone or bone sets can be switched on or off using a standard Smart Bone Dial. I would find this incredibly useful. Vitruvian Bones addresses one reason why I wanted keyframeable bone visibility, but there are other rigging/animation situations where I can use this.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

BTW, Moho 13.5.4 was just released which addresses some of the bone size issues discussed here earlier. Now we have three bone widths to choose from: Narrow, Medium, and Wide. (I personally like Medium.)

Moho 13.5.4 is available! Update now!

Thank you team Moho! 😸
Lychee

Post by Lychee »

I haven't tested the new update, but if we just have the choice between different bone sizes, the problem remains unchanged if the thickness remains the same for all the bones.
I'm going to test it to see what happens.
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

The thickness is not exactly the same for every bone, but changes depending on the bone lenght to a certain degree, until it reaches a limit.
bbrraayyaann

Post by bbrraayyaann »

I already tried the update, in medium, large and small settings.
But when zooming with the tool, the bones still become small after setting it to wide.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

bbrraayyaann wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:06 pm I already tried the update, in medium, large and small settings.
But when zooming with the tool, the bones still become small after setting it to wide.
As illustrated in my earlier pose, the bones don't actually get smaller when you zoom in...they stay the same width. This keeps bones from cluttering the screen when you zoom in, and it should not affect the ability to select them.

Here's a comparison between the old Moho 12.5 bones and the new Moho 13.5.4 bones...

As you can see, the 13.5.4 bones appear a lot less cluttered and it's easier to tell one bone apart from another. (I'm using the Medium setting.)

This next image probably isn't the best example but it shows the same bones zoomed in...

This example would probably better if it had art layers under the bones, but in a normal situation these 'thin' bones should be easier see and work with. (Realistically speaking, you probably wouldn't zoom in this closely to animate the bones anyway.)

As stated earlier, the new bones are not actually getting smaller when you zoom in, the old bones are getting bigger; the new bones' width stays constant as you zoom out. This can seem counter-intuitive, but once I got over that I found the new bones are definitely easier to work with.

Here is my example from earlier to illustrate that the bones do not get smaller (if anything, they get slightly wider)...

That said, I can see this new behavior may not please every user so hopefully it can be made optional in a future release.