Lottiefiles with Moho?

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

lucasfranca

Lottiefiles with Moho?

Post by lucasfranca »

Hello everybody!

Today I came across a very interesting article and found a new file format for animation, at least for me, Lottiefiles:

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/tech/lottie ... 5844.html

It looks very promising and prosperous to me, so I went to meet your editor. He uses After Effects or he can edit directly there, on the website. But the interesting thing is that it uses JSON files:

https://lottiefiles.com/editor

Could Moho not be able to work with this type of file in the future? I see that when I have errors in the program and it closes, when I reopen it tells me that there are errors in the JSON file. So, Moho already works with this type of file, right?

Another question that came to me is that if Moho works with this type of file,
is there a possibility of compatibility with After Effects? That would be a blast and bring Moho a lot of recognition.

Already touching on this subject, Frame.io was recently implemented in Adobe programs. A great review tool. In the future, could we have the possibility for Moho to work with frames in third-party scripts in this way?
These are just thoughts of a layman in programming, my thoughts. Excuse my ignorance.

Thanks in advance!
An old guy [since 1983] who was raised in front of the TV.
Passionate about animation, after getting old, he decides to make it his hobby.

I share tutorials, reviews, tips and tricks from this vast world of animation on my channel.

https://youtube.com/animai2D
hayasidist

Re: Lottiefiles with Moho?

Post by hayasidist »

JSON is a bit like describing how punctuation marks are to be used in writing. It says nothing about what is written between the punctuation marks. The stuff that's written can only make sense to a reader if they understand the language in which the text is written.

Moho uses JSON. But the keywords, the values and how they are interpreted are unique to Moho.

this is a fragment of Moho's JSON:
"layers":[{"type":"MeshLayer","noisy_shapes":false,"noisy_lines":false,"animated_noise":false,"extra_sketchy":false,"noise_amp":0.033333,"noise_scale":0.133333,"noise_interval":1,"

It will be meaningless to a program that expects to see "Lottie" layers (an example fragment):
"layers":[{"ddd":0,"ind":1,"ty":4,"nm":"banner Outlines","sr":1,"ks":{"o":{"a":0,"k":100,"ix":11},"r":{"a":0,"k":0,"ix":10},"p":{"a":0,"k":[394.346,327.356,0],"ix":2},"a":{"a":0,"k":[197.346,163.856,0],

So [personal opinion here], sorry to be blunt, but I can't see that there's a cat's chance in hades of Moho in its current form being Lottie compatible. Future versions ... well ... in much the same way Sibelius (music notation software) has gone some way to using MusicXML (as well as its own .sib format), maybe there'll be a Moho plug-in to import / export Lottie ... BUT ... Moho currently still has trouble with importing "complicated" .svg files, so don't hold your breath for Lottie support.
lucasfranca

Post by lucasfranca »

hayasidist wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:58 pm JSON is a bit like describing how punctuation marks are to be used in writing. It says nothing about what is written between the punctuation marks. The stuff that's written can only make sense to a reader if they understand the language in which the text is written.

Moho uses JSON. But the keywords, the values and how they are interpreted are unique to Moho.

this is a fragment of Moho's JSON:
"layers":[{"type":"MeshLayer","noisy_shapes":false,"noisy_lines":false,"animated_noise":false,"extra_sketchy":false,"noise_amp":0.033333,"noise_scale":0.133333,"noise_interval":1,"

It will be meaningless to a program that expects to see "Lottie" layers (an example fragment):
"layers":[{"ddd":0,"ind":1,"ty":4,"nm":"banner Outlines","sr":1,"ks":{"o":{"a":0,"k":100,"ix":11},"r":{"a":0,"k":0,"ix":10},"p":{"a":0,"k":[394.346,327.356,0],"ix":2},"a":{"a":0,"k":[197.346,163.856,0],

So [personal opinion here], sorry to be blunt, but I can't see that there's a cat's chance in hades of Moho in its current form being Lottie compatible. Future versions ... well ... in much the same way Sibelius (music notation software) has gone some way to using MusicXML (as well as its own .sib format), maybe there'll be a Moho plug-in to import / export Lottie ... BUT ... Moho currently still has trouble with importing "complicated" .svg files, so don't hold your breath for Lottie support.
Got it, very enlightening. Thank you very much for your honesty.
An old guy [since 1983] who was raised in front of the TV.
Passionate about animation, after getting old, he decides to make it his hobby.

I share tutorials, reviews, tips and tricks from this vast world of animation on my channel.

https://youtube.com/animai2D
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

lucasfranca wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:29 am ...Got it, very enlightening. Thank you very much for your honesty.
from the briefest of examinations of Lottie's capabilities / usage examples (and I accept I might have missed the "good stuff"), it seems to me that Moho's scope of functionality (and, consequently, the richness of its use of keywords and values in JSON) is way greater than Lottie's.

What this suggest is that it might be possible to convert Lottie JSON into Moho JSON, but to try to go the other way would mean having to use a significantly reduced set of Moho's capabilities. Even then, it looks as though there's not a simple "word for word" conversion -- it's a bit like realising that "un pezzo di pane" means "a good egg" idiomatically -- a literal translation will lose the actual meaning.