Touch scroll for timeline

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Reindeer

Touch scroll for timeline

Post by Reindeer »

I see I can use touch from my trackpad or Wacom to move around on the stage. Fingers can zoom, pan, even rotate.
Nice, but I'd really like to scroll the timeline left and right as well. As far as I can tell, the only way to fast forward or rewind the timeline is to take your pen or mouse to one side or the other and force it to scroll. Which offers little precision because one can't control the scroll speed (I often end up overshooting the frame I want to go to).
Most animation or video software I use allow touch scrolling.
alanthebox

Re: Touch scroll for timeline

Post by alanthebox »

If I understand the functionality you're describing correctly, you can also hold down the middle mouse button and drag around the timeline (similar to how you can navigate around the workspace).

My Wacom doesn't have touch functionality, so, I'm not familiar with how it interacts with the timeline, but I imagine it would be nice to navigate via touch as well!
Reindeer

Post by Reindeer »

alanthebox wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:16 pm If I understand the functionality you're describing correctly, you can also hold down the middle mouse button and drag around the timeline (similar to how you can navigate around the workspace).

My Wacom doesn't have touch functionality, so, I'm not familiar with how it interacts with the timeline, but I imagine it would be nice to navigate via touch as well!

Yes, in fact, with my Wacom pen I can click-hold and drag the timeline. But what I have in mind is more like a swipe on the trackpad (or touch tablet), like one can do on the timelines of Premiere, Animate, or Final Cut. This is faster and smoother. I understand it may seem like a minor feature request, but I do find Moho's timeline scrolling a little cumbersome.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

On my Windows laptop, I can two-finger swipe to change the current frame. It's pretty fast, even if backwards (like most of the touch scrolling in Moho).
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

synthsin75 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:23 pm On my Windows laptop, I can two-finger swipe to change the current frame. It's pretty fast, even if backwards (like most of the touch scrolling in Moho).
Oo! I got a Windows laptop last week. I'm still installing software but will have to try Moho with touch on that device soon.

I used to use multi-touch on my old Wacom Cintiq Companion 2 tablet pc. After Mike added the 'Navigation Only' option, I was able to work really fast in Moho on that device. (My current desktop Cintiq doesn't have touch.) :(
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Greenlaw wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:12 am
synthsin75 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:23 pm On my Windows laptop, I can two-finger swipe to change the current frame. It's pretty fast, even if backwards (like most of the touch scrolling in Moho).
Oo! I got a Windows laptop last week. I'm still installing software but will have to try Moho with touch on that device soon.

I used to use multi-touch on my old Wacom Cintiq Companion 2 tablet pc. After Mike added the 'Navigation Only' option, I was able to work really fast in Moho on that device. (My current desktop Cintiq doesn't have touch.) :(
I should clarify. This is on the touchpad, not a touch display.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

It works! I simply touch the timeline with one finger and the time slider moves with it. The response is very smooth. This is on the Surface Studio Laptop 2 btw, and so far I've tested multitouch to move, rotate and scale the workspace, and tried a little sketching. I'm not sure about this yet but drawing seems more precise and predictable than on my desktop's Cintiq. Will post more info when I'm able to spend more time with it.

Touch with the trackpad works too, but I need to press hard enough to activate the 'click' before sliding with it.
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

Horizontal scroll on the timeline definitely doesn't work here, Touch Support is enabled. I use a Macbook Pro's trackpad, Magic Trackpad 1, and a Wacom Cintiq27QHD. Horizontal touch scrolling works on none of them. I use it all the time in other software and it's super useful. I too wish Moho would support it properly.
This is on macOS Big Sur with Wacom Driver 6.3.40-2 which I refuse to update, because I'm afraid Wacom will make it break support for an older Wacom Cintiq 21UX and old Wacom Intuos that I use at home or while traveling (Wacom never fails to break things with updates in my experience, so if it works, I don't update).

Haven't used touch on Windows for a while, but can't remember horizontal scroll ever working with the timeline.
(To be clear, with horizontal scroll I mean a two finger horizontal swipe without clicking)

Another slightly related touch issue, when rotating the canvas with touch, it would be nice to be able to constrain the angle with Shift. Right now it's impossible to put it back to a 0 degree angle without resetting the view (which also resets the position...). Also when zooming I often accidentally rotate by a few degrees, shift to constrain would be nice there too.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Oh, I misunderstood...you guys mean scrolling the entire timeline window, not the time slider. Yeah, my finger only moves the time slider, and it doesn't scroll the window itself. Using multitouch continued to navigate the workspace only.

FWIW, this is how it worked with my old Companion 2 touch display, so it's pretty much what I expected...I just didn't expect it to work with a Surface touch display.

BTW, the Surface stylus did scroll the timeline window horizontally when i held the button down (r-click). The steps are a little weird: press and hold the stylus button before touching the screen. If you do this in a different other, it will not work.

The touchpad, on the other hand, does not scroll the window...at least I haven't figured out how to make that work yet. Tried sliding, press-click sliding, with different modifiers, finger combos. I half expected it to work with two finger panning the way it works to scroll a browser window but that didn't work. (I don't think that worked with the Wacom either but I can no longer check that.)
Reindeer

Post by Reindeer »

Yes, what I have in mind is what @Lukas describes. On other timeline-based software (and on a MacBook Pro) a two finger swipe on the trackpad makes the timeline glide very smoothly and - above all - proportionally to the swipe speed.
What I do now on Moho is "push" the timeline header to the left or right, which prompts the timeline to move. The big drawback is that it usually goes way too fast right away, so you end up overshooting the frame you are aiming for. Zooming the timeline so I can get a wider view of where frames are is another way to do it, but it's quite tedious.