Layer order not updating in referenced layers

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Reindeer

Layer order not updating in referenced layers

Post by Reindeer »

I am using a character model by importing him as a reference layer into a scene file. When I work on the original model and save the file, the reference layer updates fine except for the order of layers.
In this case, I changed the character's necktie color and moved the layer upwards (so it would flap over his front arm), but after saving and going to the other file and update the referenced layer all I get is the different tie color. The tie's layer position doesn't update. Is this normal?
Greenlaw

Re: Layer order not updating in referenced layers

Post by Greenlaw »

Do you have keyframes? It won't update if keyframes for the layer order change don't exist. You might need to make a 'trigger' keyframe in both projects on an animation frame before the reference will pick up on the layer order change.

If this is meant to be an animation change as opposed to a rig change, it should be done in the project that references the original. If this is a rig change, you might need to create a temporary key as described above, or simply move the layer in the project that references the original.

There are a few things that don't come over in a reference update at all, for example bone strength. You have to make that kind of update directly in the reference manually. It's a little annoying I know but something to be aware of. In production, I just send a note to any animators working with the rig so they can make the change if they need to.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Just a warning and some tips for using reference projects...

Be careful about putting animation on the timeline for master projects you intend to reference in other projects. If you change the animation in the master later one, you risk wiping out any different animation you may have previously created in the referencing project when you update it. It's best to add this kind of animation in the referencing project only.

If you find yourself in risk of this, you can open both projects at the same time and just copy and past the changes you want from the original to the reference. Alternatively, you can update only the changed channels in the Timeline Window instead of from the Layers Window.

To be safe, always make a copy of your projects before updating them.

Just a few things I thought I should mention before you go too far.
Reindeer

Post by Reindeer »

Greenlaw wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:44 pm Do you have keyframes? It won't update if keyframes for the layer order change don't exist. You might need to make a 'trigger' keyframe in both projects on an animation frame before the reference will pick up on the layer order change.

If this is meant to be an animation change as opposed to a rig change, it should be done in the project that references the original. If this is a rig change, you might need to create a temporary key as described above, or simply move the layer in the project that references the original.

There are a few things that don't come over in a reference update at all, for example bone strength. You have to make that kind of update directly in the reference manually. It's a little annoying I know but something to be aware of. In production, I just send a note to any animators working with the rig so they can make the change if they need to.
Yes, I have Keyframes in both the master file and in the file containing the referenced import. The animation is ia cycle, identical in both files. The only things I changed are the mentioned necktie color and the position of its layer. Now that I know, it's not a big deal to manually update the layer position in the referenced file. If it hadn't been for a very obvious element of a quite simple character, I may not have noticed the inconsistence between the two files, so it's good to know this particular thing needs to be checked :)
Reindeer

Post by Reindeer »

Greenlaw wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:58 pm Just a warning and some tips for using reference projects...

Be careful about putting animation on the timeline for master projects you intend to reference in other projects. If you change the animation in the master later one, you risk wiping out any different animation you may have previously created in the referencing project when you update it. It's best to add this kind of animation in the referencing project only.

If you find yourself in risk of this, you can open both projects at the same time and just copy and past the changes you want from the original to the reference. Alternatively, you can update only the changed channels in the Timeline Window instead of from the Layers Window.

To be safe, always make a copy of your projects before updating them.

Just a few things I thought I should mention before you go too far.
Thanks for the lookout advice! I generally need referenced layers just to import character models and rigs. If there is any animation it's usually stuff like cycles and other repetitive motion which I normally wouldn't edit in the referenced files. When in doubt about an import, to be safe I normally just copy and paste the entire bone layers.