Callipeg for ipad

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

chucky

Callipeg for ipad

Post by chucky »

I haven't even got an ipad ( hate apple) but thought this was compelling, it exports json btw
hayasidist

Re: Callipeg for ipad

Post by hayasidist »

before getting too excited about "JSON export" ... viewtopic.php?p=204438#p204438

a VERY cursory look at Callipeg suggests it uses the After Effects JSON syntax (which might be a format TVPaint and Harmony (and Lottie??) support?????). [I haven't done any in-depth research on how AE / TVP / Harmony use JSON; but the link above gives a tiny snapshot of Lottie JSON vs Moho JSON -- they're so TOTALLY different to the point that I personally wouldn't even try to consider some form of 'converter'.]

Moho's use of JSON is proprietary. But that doesn't mean it can't adopt a different standard syntax in a future release to deliver increased compatibility / integration with AE!
chucky wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:19 am(hate apple)
with you there Chucky! Supplier of last recourse for me...
chucky

Post by chucky »

hayasidist wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:40 am before getting too excited about "JSON export" ... viewtopic.php?p=204438#p204438

a VERY cursory look at Callipeg suggests it uses the After Effects JSON syntax (which might be a format TVPaint and Harmony (and Lottie??) support?????). [I haven't done any in-depth research on how AE / TVP / Harmony use JSON; but the link above gives a tiny snapshot of Lottie JSON vs Moho JSON -- they're so TOTALLY different to the point that I personally wouldn't even try to consider some form of 'converter'.]

Moho's use of JSON is proprietary. But that doesn't mean it can't adopt a different standard syntax in a future release to deliver increased compatibility / integration with AE!
chucky wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:19 am(hate apple)
with you there Chucky! Supplier of last recourse for me...
Ahhh, I did doubt that there could be any possibility to link the two.Thanks for the interesting info Paul :D
I certainly won't be using callipeg, but it certainly is interesting and throws down the gauntlet for workstation apps.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

TVPaint uses a certain JSON script which is tailor-made to match Adobes AfterFX import specifications (note: import only works in AFX default configuration), regarding naming and numbering of layers and frames.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
ernesttxx

Post by ernesttxx »

Callipeg is a great piece of software for the iPad. I haven't used the export much (as really Callipeg does it all for animation), but the json export is to TVPaint, Harmony and After Effects. However, it appears that you need to run a downloaded script in those host applications to import the json file. In doing it for TVPaint, it appears to be just image files and layer and timing info. So, it should be somewhat routine for a script writer to write one that imports into any other program.

The other nice thing is the .oca export which can be used for Blender import. So, really Callipeg is extendable to a number of other apps and such.
lucasfranca

Post by lucasfranca »

hayasidist wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:40 am a VERY cursory look at Callipeg suggests it uses the After Effects JSON syntax (which might be a format TVPaint and Harmony (and Lottie??) support?????). [I haven't done any in-depth research on how AE / TVP / Harmony use JSON; but the link above gives a tiny snapshot of Lottie JSON vs Moho JSON -- they're so TOTALLY different to the point that I personally wouldn't even try to consider some form of 'converter'.]
I think it only exports the created sequence in svg or png layers in sequence. This approach can be called "Universal". Can this be done in Moho?

Look this: https://mohosvg.herokuapp.com
An old guy [since 1983] who was raised in front of the TV.
Passionate about animation, after getting old, he decides to make it his hobby.

I share tutorials, reviews, tips and tricks from this vast world of animation on my channel.

https://youtube.com/animai2D
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I used Callipeg for a few weeks last year, and it's probably the only animation app I'd take seriously on iPad. Most iPad apps are just toys but this one has decent FBF tools and also a transform layer for non-destructively transforming child groups and layers. The drawing UI takes a lot from Procreate, which is pretty smart considering how Procreate has become the 'pro' standard for iPad painting. It's very capable, actively developed, and a lot of fun to use...so Callipeg meets my qualifications anyway! :D

I only stopped using it because I had too many other things going on at the time, and there's so much to remember that I found myself taking too much time re-learning it each time I came back. (Not as bad as when I come back to ZBrush, but almost.) I'm sure I'll come back to it someday. I was hoping my child would pick up on it. They use Flip-A-Clip and they complain that it does not have tools for non-destructive transforms, but right now I think they're too busy to learn another animation app.

As for supported export formats, (opening app now):

Callipeg
PNG
PSD
MP4
HEVC (with Alpha)
GIF
JSON
OCA

Funny...at the bottom of the Export tab a button for 'To Import To Blender', which I'm sure is just a weblink, but I think it shows consideration for users who want/need to use the app as one of many within a pipeline. (Just like Moho!) 😺

If I was actively using Calipeg right now, I'd be using PNG (for comp and editing on a desktop,) followed by GIF and HEVC (for direct to web use.) I'm not sure sure what Calipeg's maximum color depth is...probably 24-bit color but I should look into that.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Really great review, Greenlaw!
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I would post some of my Callipeg animations but they're just really dumb tests.

Well, lemme think about it...dumbness hasn't stopped me before. :D