Perspective for folders

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Reindeer

Perspective for folders

Post by Reindeer »

As far as I can tell I can use the Perspective tool only on vector layers and image layers.
If I want to distort more layers at once by putting them into a folder layer, I can only rotate the folder without prospective distortion. Am I correct or am I missing some hidden option?
ggoblin

Re: Perspective for folders

Post by ggoblin »

Hi Reindeer, what do you mean by 'perspective tool' ?

There is a Perspective Points tool, that will only work on points inside vector layers.

Then there is Shear Layer and Rotate Layer XY tools which will work on layers including vector layers and image layers. These also work fine on group layers which include vector and image layers.

Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Perspective and Shear should work on Groups, independently from using the same tools on the contained layers. It works here anyway.

One way to check is to go to an animation frame and apply these tools on the layers and on the parent group. Then you can Mute the channels for each item to see the effects of the tools on unmuted items.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

You can also use Quad Meshes and have multiple art layers in the group bound to the same Mesh layer, so they behave/distort similarly.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Sorry, where I wrote Perspective I mean Rotate Layer tool, which can sort of be used like a perspective tool and it works on groups as well as other layers. I sometimes use this to force a low camera perspective on characters. As noted by GGoblin, the tool that's actually called Perspective, found in the Draw section, is only for points.

@SimplSam, good call about using a Quad mesh.

@Reindeer, if you us a single quad shape that's unconnected to other shapes, Moho treats this as a Perspective Warp, so you get accurate perspective distortions. And yes, multiple layers can use the same quad. Note that this doesn't work with group layers, but you can select multiple layers inside the group and apply the warp to all of them at one time.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reindeer

Post by Reindeer »

ggoblin wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:55 pm Hi Reindeer, what do you mean by 'perspective tool' ?

There is a Perspective Points tool, that will only work on points inside vector layers.

Then there is Shear Layer and Rotate Layer XY tools which will work on layers including vector layers and image layers. These also work fine on group layers which include vector and image layers.

Yes, I can rotate and skew :) but that doesn't exactly equate to a perspective distortion. It'll work for a good many situations but not those where one wants a more realistic effect.
Reindeer

Post by Reindeer »

SimplSam wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:52 pm You can also use Quad Meshes and have multiple art layers in the group bound to the same Mesh layer, so they behave/distort similarly.
Thanks, I'll try this solution!
Reindeer

Post by Reindeer »

Greenlaw wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:28 pm Sorry, where I wrote Perspective I mean Rotate Layer tool, which can sort of be used like a perspective tool and it works on groups as well as other layers. I sometimes use this to force a low camera perspective on characters. As noted by GGoblin, the tool that's actually called Perspective, found in the Draw section, is only for points.

@SimplSam, good call about using a Quad mesh.

@Reindeer, if you us a single quad shape that's unconnected to other shapes, Moho treats this a Perspective Warp, so you get accurate perspective distortions. And yes, multiple layers can use the same quad. Note that this doesn't work with group layers, but you can select multiple layers inside the group and apply the warp to all of them at one time.
Yes, that's what I meant. Rotation and Skew are good but not satisfactory when looking for a truer perspective distortion. The suggestion of using meshes sounds good, I still have to try it! Thanks! :)
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

"a truer prespective" sounds ... odd.

The thing with perspective is that it's a distortion of the projected image of things which follows some (simple) rules. First rule: everything in an image seen through the same lens is sharing the same perspective. In constructing perspective of different objects most people forget that the lens is a factor, too.

I recommend to work from an underlying sketch. If you find that rotate and skew don't get you the desired effect, check the lens length parameter (that's "Zoom camera (5)"). Shorter lens = stronger perspective distortion. Longer lens = less distortion. Infinite lens = isometric perspective.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
Reindeer

Post by Reindeer »

slowtiger wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:22 pm "a truer prespective" sounds ... odd.

The thing with perspective is that it's a distortion of the projected image of things which follows some (simple) rules. First rule: everything in an image seen through the same lens is sharing the same perspective. In constructing perspective of different objects most people forget that the lens is a factor, too.

I recommend to work from an underlying sketch. If you find that rotate and skew don't get you the desired effect, check the lens length parameter (that's "Zoom camera (5)"). Shorter lens = stronger perspective distortion. Longer lens = less distortion. Infinite lens = isometric perspective.
Agreed, "truer perspective” is nonsense :) But the parameters of the Zoom Camera - if those are the ones you mean for “lens length” - don’t seem to modify the Perspective (for points) or Rotation and Skew tools (for groups) behaviour in any way, but I guess I'm missing out on something.