Are Pin Bones Dead?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

jayfaker

Are Pin Bones Dead?

Post by jayfaker »

Quick question... are pin bones dead? I have the newest version of Moho running and I can seem to place a pin bone. Are they gone? Is there a new way to place a pin bone?

I guess I don't use them too much, but I do use them when it comes to an overall parent bone, or a bone I want to use to scale something evenly on both axes without needing to use two bones.

Maybe I missed something in the update notes. Let me know. Thanks!

-Jim
Daxel

Re: Are Pin Bones Dead?

Post by Daxel »

Here on 13.5.5, Windows 10, is working as always. With the create bone tool, I click without dragging and I get a pin bone.
jayfaker

Post by jayfaker »

Huh. I'm on a Mac, and they aren't placing when I do that.
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

jayfaker wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:43 pm Huh. I'm on a Mac, and they aren't placing when I do that.
What happens when you shrink a bone down to zero length (on frame 0)?
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Yeah, working here too...just click with the Add Bone tool.

Not that this solves the problem for you, but can you make regular bones using Add Bone? If so, do that and then set the bone length to zero.

I'm not on Mac these days so can't test for this, but I wonder if this is one of those screen resolution/pixel density issues?

Another thought: Try using one of the other Bone Display Width settings. I don't really think that will help but since Bone Width is a new feature, maybe it's related.
arglborps

Post by arglborps »

Hi there, I'm on a Mac and placing pin bones just by clicking without dragging works fine here.
Kilian Muster
Designer (day job), Animator/Creator (in the after hours)
PiXELBLAST Phungus & Mowld Production BlogYouTube Channel

Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

jayfaker wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:43 pm Huh. I'm on a Mac, and they aren't placing when I do that.
I'm on a Mac and use the latest version of Moho. When I am on a bone layer and left click without sliding the mouse at all, I get a pin bone.
SuperSGL

Post by SuperSGL »

I'm on a PC with the latest moho and all of a sudden I can't click and get a pin bone either??? I switched back to default keyboard shortcuts restarted the pc and opened a new file created a bone group and using the add bone tool I click and nothing happens. I've been using moho for years I've also have several files with pin bones in them but now nothing shows up. ??? :? :? :?
"Animation is not the art of drawings that move but the art of movements that are drawn."
Norman McLaren

My Animations
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Maybe try changing the bone width setting in preferences?
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

SuperSGL wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:41 pm ... I've also have several files with pin bones in them but now nothing shows up. ??? :? :? :?
Do they appear in the bones drop-down list?
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
Gaucho

Post by Gaucho »

I am on a Mac too.
To create a pin bone I add a bone and then reduce its length to 0 with the transform bone tool.
Cheers!
SuperSGL

Post by SuperSGL »

I tried all of the above with the exception of the mouse but I'm using a mouse and a wacom tablet neither work to create pin bones. I've adjusted the widths in preferences and none change anything. Giving a bone a zero length however does create the pin bone. I use pin bones a lot for secondary action ie. wobbly nose heavy stomach etc. I think I'm going to have to try the old stand by and re-install arrgghh. I haven't checked my laptop yet I'll do that soon.
"Animation is not the art of drawings that move but the art of movements that are drawn."
Norman McLaren

My Animations
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Keep us up to date on what you find SuperSGL. Just clicking to create a Pin Bone really should work so it's strange that a handful of people are reporting otherwise.

BTW, it might not be necessary to reinstall...maybe just remove the preferences and other settings and then launch? Be careful not to break the license activation, but if you do, it's easy enough to retrieve it from the Lost Marble website.

Another thought: maybe your tablet driver needs to be updated? Probably not since it sounds like the mouse isn't working for Pin Bones either.
SuperSGL

Post by SuperSGL »

Ok, I just checked that on my laptop it works fine there ??? It's just weird all of a sudden it stopped. Both desk top and laptop btw are latest versions of moho.
Norman McLaren

My Animations
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Another thought: Check if you have a Windows update waiting to be installed. Sometimes devices and some programs can misbehave when Windows has partially installed something and is waiting to be restarted to complete the installation.