Updating Mac OS - compatibility?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

woodstockbird99

Updating Mac OS - compatibility?

Post by woodstockbird99 »

Hello,

Quick question. I use Moho pro 13.5 and my Mac is running Big Sur, which is couple of OS's back now. Some other things have started to not work, so I probably should upgrade.

Does anyone know if Moho runs fine on the latest version of OS Ventura, or perhaps Monterey which as just after Big Sur? Everything is 64 bit now I've heard.

Bit of a mess to go back if needed so hoping to confirm people have had success with the newer OS versions.

Thanks so much,

Tony
Hoptoad

Re: Updating Mac OS - compatibility?

Post by Hoptoad »

I haven't noticed anything negative. Seems to me that the latest version of Moho runs great on Ventura.
woodstockbird99

Post by woodstockbird99 »

OK cool, I'll go ahead and update then. :)
Ronbo

Post by Ronbo »

Moho 13.5.5 was running normally in Monterey for me. Last night I decided to go ahead and update to Ventura. This morning I discovered that playback in Moho is now "jerky." Almost a stop-motion feel. Exported animation plays smoothly, however. As far as I can tell, my other programs like OpenToonz, TVPaint, Blender, and Motion are all working normally. I've tried adjusting some settings to no effect. I may try reinstalling Moho to see if that helps, but Moho 12.5.1 now has the same playback issue also. (I'm on a 27" 2020 iMac.)
rayamc

Post by rayamc »

No problems for me on Ventura
Ronbo

Post by Ronbo »

In case anybody else is experiencing issues after upgrading to Ventura, as I was, perhaps this might help.

I had no issues with Moho when running Monterey, but after upgrading to Ventura video playback in Moho was stuttering. Almost like stop motion. If I disabled frame skipping, video playback was smoother but in slow motion. After consulting tech support I discovered that my retina 5k 2020 27" iMac had screen resolutions that I was not aware of because Apple hides them. Tech support informed me that my display resolution can affect playback so I found that my resolution was set at the default 2560 x 1440 and after trying different options I ended up with "2560 x 1440 (low resolution)" and that seemed to resolve my issue. I have no idea what the difference is between 2560 x 1440 and 2560 x 1440 low resolution is. But I'm happy to be back in business again.
Franky1966

Post by Franky1966 »

I read somewhere that Ventura is the OS people should stay away from. So better skip this version?!
Ronbo

Post by Ronbo »

Well, all I can say is that I have a lot of art, music, video, and animation applications and Moho was the only one I had trouble with after upgrading to Ventura. And changing my display resolution seems to have resolved that. And keep in mind that two other people in this thread had no problems with Ventura. Also, every new OS needs to go through one or two point updates to work out any kinks so you may want to wait for 13.2 or 13.3?