Playback runs fast

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Karl Toon

Playback runs fast

Post by Karl Toon »

This has probably been asked before, but I couldn't find it anywhere with a search.

Once I've added audio to an animation, when I play it back within Moho, on occasions the audio plays at the correct speed, but the animation goes supersonic and runs away with itself. This makes it pretty difficult sometimes when trying to lipsync or do certain things at the right time to the audio. Am I missing a setting somewhere? Thanks.
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse." - Walt E. Disney
Greenlaw

Re: Playback runs fast

Post by Greenlaw »

I've read posts from a few users about extra fast playback but haven't experienced that myself yet. The usual thing to check is to check the settings for Allow Frame Skipping and/or Enable Bone Physics, but I don't think that's what's going on here.

Maybe the problem is the audio format? If you're using a compressed format like .mp3 or similar, that's really not suitable for animation. When I'm going to be animating lip-sync or anything that needs to be precisely synced to an audio track, I always use an uncompressed .wav or .aif to insure frame accuracy.

If all you have is an .mp3, try converting it to an uncompressed .wav or .aif and see that works any better. I don't think it matters if it's a.wav or .aif, but the data should be uncompressed for exact frame accuracy when stepping, scrubbing or playing back the track.

TBH, I'm skeptical this has anything to do with the audio format but since the problem appeared after you imported the file, it's worth looking into.

Hope this helps.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I found this happening when the soundtrack starts and plays normally, but the animation hangs up, then suddenly starts to run and plays everything it missed faster until both parts are in sync again. No big problem.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
Karl Toon

Post by Karl Toon »

Greenlaw wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:02 am I've read posts from a few users about extra fast playback but haven't experienced that myself yet. The usual thing to check is to check the settings for Allow Frame Skipping and/or Enable Bone Physics, but I don't think that's what's going on here.

Maybe the problem is the audio format? If you're using a compressed format like .mp3 or similar, that's really not suitable for animation. When I'm going to be animating lip-sync or anything that needs to be precisely synced to an audio track, I always use an uncompressed .wav or .aif to insure frame accuracy.

If all you have is an .mp3, try converting it to an uncompressed .wav or .aif and see that works any better. I don't think it matters if it's a.wav or .aif, but the data should be uncompressed for exact frame accuracy when stepping, scrubbing or playing back the track.

TBH, I'm skeptical this has anything to do with the audio format but since the problem appeared after you imported the file, it's worth looking into.

Hope this helps.
I have just tried it with both MP3 and WAV, and at the moment the problem has gone away. Still intriguing though. And, will stick with non-compressed audio in future. :)
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse." - Walt E. Disney
Mattyj

Post by Mattyj »

I've experienced this recently too, on a couple of animations, in terms of playback in the viewport.
Karl Toon

Post by Karl Toon »

And the probelm keeps re-occuring whether audio is compressed or not. Oh well, worth a try.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Can you zip and upload an audio file/project that causes the problem?

If you're not able to post it publicly, you should at least send it to the LM dev team for examination, otherwise the problem won't get fixed.

I've heard of a few other users experiencing this so I hope this gets solved before too long.
Karl Toon

Post by Karl Toon »

Greenlaw wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:54 pm Can you zip and upload an audio file/project that causes the problem?

If you're not able to post it publicly, you should at least send it to the LM dev team for examination, otherwise the problem won't get fixed.

I've heard of a few other users experiencing this so I hope this gets solved before too long.
Doesn't do it all the time and there seems to be no rhyme nor reason to when it does do it. https://www.dropbox.com/s/p9jhr612ihqds ... r.zip?dl=0