Getting Moho from StackSocial is legit?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

lazyroll

Getting Moho from StackSocial is legit?

Post by lazyroll »

Hello, I want to know if getting Moho 12.5 PRO from StackSocial: https://stacksocial.com/sales/moho-anim ... ro-version is legit or not?
I came across this website, which is also recommended on PCMag https://www.pcmag.com/deals/animate-you ... n-software, and apparently it sells licenses 75% off.
Any mods or people who know that website to verify this? Are they partners or just scammers?
Hoptoad

Re: Getting Moho from StackSocial is legit?

Post by Hoptoad »

I'm pretty cautious about internet deals, but it seems legit. The $99 deal for Moho 12.5 expires in 4 hours, which makes the "hurry and buy it" aspect a little bothersome but not a dealbreaker to me.

I hope you get additional feedback besides me.

The upgrade to 13 would cost another $150, but 12.5 is pretty powerful and 1,000,000 times better than Debut.

Good luck! Be sure to post what happens if you buy it.
lazyroll

Post by lazyroll »

I'm kinda hesitant to buy before hearing out anything from the Moho people or the people that already used StackSocial services.
Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

lazyroll wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:49 pm I'm kinda hesitant to buy before hearing out anything from the Moho people or the people that already used StackSocial services.
I'd be cautious, too. I'd never heard of them before.
Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

dvnmedia wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 12:33 pm I am waiting to hear back from lostmarble as my serial number isn't currently recognised when I try to purchase the upgrade.
Uh oh. I found this post from last year. This guy bought from StackSocial, but the serial number didn't work when he tried to upgrade.
lazyroll

Post by lazyroll »

Ouch. Good to know, thank you!
rogermate

Post by rogermate »

Hoptoad wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:13 pm
dvnmedia wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 12:33 pm I am waiting to hear back from lostmarble as my serial number isn't currently recognised when I try to purchase the upgrade.
Uh oh. I found this post from last year. This guy bought from StackSocial, but the serial number didn't work when he tried to upgrade.
Maybe take that with a grain of salt: That poster apparently bought & installed on a Sunday from a third party, and on the following Monday BEFORE the start of the first business day, the poster was "shocked" that his serial number was not immediately recognized for upgrade. If you owned a software company, would you allow upgrades for serial numbers which have not yet been registered? 8) Me neither.

Furthermore, that poster has only two posts for his entire 'life' on this forum.

I'm curious if Moho is using this third party "stackSocial" to sell reduced price for version 12.x

Though it's more of the same frustration, where new buyers can get the Pro version for a price cheaper than loyal upgraders of the Pro version could get it. What a coincidence that my first time looking at this forum in about 2 years, there's such an upgrade path. One persons idea of an aggressive marketing campaign can be seen as capricious to an upgrader
lazyroll

Post by lazyroll »

rogermate wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:21 am
Hoptoad wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:13 pm
Maybe take that with a grain of salt: That poster apparently bought & installed on a Sunday from a third party, and on the following Monday BEFORE the start of the first business day, the poster was "shocked" that his serial number was not immediately recognized for upgrade. If you owned a software company, would you allow upgrades for serial numbers which have not yet been registered? 8) Me neither.

Furthermore, that poster has only two posts for his entire 'life' on this forum.

I'm curious if Moho is using this third party "stackSocial" to sell reduced price for version 12.x

Though it's more of the same frustration, where new buyers can get the Pro version for a price cheaper than loyal upgraders of the Pro version could get it. What a coincidence that my first time looking at this forum in about 2 years, there's such an upgrade path. One persons idea of an aggressive marketing campaign can be seen as capricious to an upgrader
You did some research haha. And what's worse is that I get no word from the Moho team. Neither on the forum nor on email. I think I even sent an email about a different matter about two years ago and didn't get a reply. So I'm not sure if I should go with this "deal", would be really nice if I would be able to upgrade to 13.5 PRO, I mean the pricing seems right since you can get the latest PRO version for a similar price on black Friday.
rogermate

Post by rogermate »

lazyroll wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:16 pm And what's worse is that I get no word from the Moho team. Neither on the forum nor on email.
I'm not sure if they monitor this forum. But you'd normally get a reply by eMail, except they get spam too. Also, the ability of 3rd parties to sell excess inventory is not always 100% in the control of a management team. That's a simplification of what can be a complex set of "biznit stuff". Still, who knows if any of it applies.

You could try to pm the original poster who bought in the past from groupSocial or whatever it was.

It's been many years since a major point upgrade. Maybe 14 is around the corner, and you'll be kicking yourself if you buy 13.x now. Maybe 11 or 12 has enough for you.

It is good software, but became really pricey. Perhaps deservedly so, I'm not a professional. But I've always enjoyed watching the evolution of niche applications. If you do get the software, this forum is an unbelievable resource. First do tutorials, watch youtubes etc. Then if you're stuck, narrow your question down for here and there's a core of awesome experts to help. good luck
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Moho 12.5 was discontinued by Smith Micro product and was never sold by Lost Marble, so it could be that LM doesn't have control or any say over the sales. To be clear I'm totally just speculating though and I don't really know anything about this sale.

As to whether LM will recognize the serial numbers for an upgrade to Moho 13.5.5, this depends on where Stack Social got their list of Moho 12.5 serial numbers. I would ask StackSocial and/or Smith Micro if their sales come from a legitimate list of unsold SM inventory, and hold them to it if the serial number does not work with the official 12.5 installer from the SM website. If StackSocial's serial number doesn't work with SM's final installer then it's probably not on LM's list of legitimate Moho 12.5 serial numbers.

BTW, I'm not suggesting that you or anyone else reading this should take the risk, but if you do please post what you learn here. (I'm just curious.) 😸
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

rogermate wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:12 pm I'm not sure if they monitor this forum. But you'd normally get a reply by eMail, except they get spam too. Also, the ability of 3rd parties to sell excess inventory is not always 100% in the control of a management team. That's a simplification of what can be a complex set of "biznit stuff". Still, who knows if any of it applies.
That's more or less my read of the situation. It would be interesting to hear from Victor or Mike about this, but if they prefer to keep out of it for marketing or legal reasons, that's completely understandable.
It's been many years since a major point upgrade. Maybe 14 is around the corner, and you'll be kicking yourself if you buy 13.x now. Maybe 11 or 12 has enough for you.
Moho 13.5.5 came out in May of 2022 so it's actually still less than a old. It came on the heels of multiple updates that quarter (13.5.3 and 13.5.4 came out a month earlier) that should cumulatively be considered major: Moho 13.5.5 is available.. I wouldn't count Smith Micro's Moho 13.0 as part of that release cycle because Lost Marble's Moho 13.5 was a complete reboot of the software springing from 12.5's code.

AFAIK, there's never been an official public announcement made about the next release of Moho. IMHO it's safe to assume LM is busy working on it but that doesn't necessarily mean it's 'just around the corner'. It's just all speculation until LM decides it's time for an announcement.

In the meantime, Moho 13.5.5 is a great animation package and a perfectly fine purchase if you need to use its features right now.