Bone Layer Opacity During Character Design

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Tuxedo Cat Cartoons

Bone Layer Opacity During Character Design

Post by Tuxedo Cat Cartoons »

Ok...I have a question and I'll try to explain it well. I sketched out my character on paper and I have imported it as an image into Anime Studio so I can begin drawing the character in Anime Studio. I have my bone layer, named "Santa," and inside the bone layer are the many vector layers that make up the character. When I'm drawing the character in Anime Studio I want it to be somewhat transparent so I can still see my sketch underneath. I can accomplish this by turning down the opacity in the vector layer and the vector layer opacity is shown in the preview screen while I am drawing. But, with using this method, after I am finished drawing my character I then have to go back through all of the vector layers and turn the opacity back up. I know that I can turn the opacity down on the bone layer itself - causing all of the vector layers inside of it to be transparent. But, the bone layer transparency does not show in the preview screen, it only shows when I render it. Is there a way to have the bone layer transparency show in the preview screen while I am drawing? This would save me a lot of time and trouble as I would not have to go back through all of the vector layers and turn the opacity back up once I am finished drawing my character. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

(Two images below to show what I mean.)

In this image the opacity of the bone layer is set to 33 but the opacity of the layer does not show until rendered.

In this image the bone layer is set to 100, but the vector layer for "Hat" and the vector layer for "Body" haven been set to 50, and it shows in the preview screen.
funksmaname

Re: Bone Layer Opacity During Character Design

Post by funksmaname »

In the view menu there is an item called 'Select tracing image...' (Control+Y) - this will overlay your image for tracing semi transparent. You can then turn it on and off with control+U.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

You can also select multiple layers and adjust their opacity all at the same time.
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

You can also put the image layer above the bone layer and lower the opacity of the image layer.
Tuxedo Cat Cartoons

Post by Tuxedo Cat Cartoons »

Thanks guys. It feels silly now that I asked. I should have known that I could just place the tracing image on top and make it transparent - it's such a simple and easy solution. Ducking fuh duh!!
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

yeah, although i may be being dumb but i found no way to lock the layer, so if it's on top it blocks the right click layer selection (this happens with masking and vector layer overlays too... there should probably be a lock layer option if I'm not just missing it!)
Trizul96

Post by Trizul96 »

synthsin75 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:23 am You can also select multiple layers and adjust their opacity all at the same time.
Can you please tell me about this step ?, I already select multiple layers and then right-click, but they're just the only option for quick settings. if I double-click from the selected multiple layers, the multiple layers will be deselected and go to the layer that I double-click on it.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

1. Select all the layers you wish to affect. Do this using the usual Shift and/or Ctrl clicking for selection.
2. Click on the 3 dots a the top of the Layers window.

This opens the Layers Settings and many of the changes you make here will affect all the layers.

Alternatively you can do this...

1. Double-click on one layer. This opens the Layers Settings window.
2. Select the layers you want to affect. The Layers Setting window is non-modal so you can still work in other windows while it's open.

One more tip: you can click Apply in the window to see changes before you close the window. This makes it easier to experiment with different settings.

Hope this helps.