Bezier handles acting insane while working in smart action

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Geoi88i

Bezier handles acting insane while working in smart action

Post by Geoi88i »

Hello,
Ive been noticing that sometimes while creating a corrective smart bone, like when you bend a leg of a character and want the artwork to conform, I try to create the curve I want with either the curve or transform point tool and it starts going crazy. For instance, when I try to grab the bezier handle of the vertex point I want, it starts moving the bezier handles of other points further away.... even if I hold down Alt to grab and move just one handle. I read about bezier bugs in other posts and how people restart the program and then it works for them but in my case that doesnt help. Now, I have only noticed this problem while in an action, but Im hoping it doesnt happen later when Im animating my main scene in the mainline. The solution Ive had to live with is simply making those anchor/vertex points "peak" instead of "smooth" Now that part of my artwork is not beautiful and curved anymore. Luckily it is a small part on my characters thigh and not on her face or anything. Has anyone encountered something like this when keyframing smart bones ??
Greenlaw

Re: Bezier handles acting insane while working in smart action

Post by Greenlaw »

This is why I avoid using Bezier points for artwork that will be deformed using Bones and Smart Bone Actions. It's easier and more reliable to use Regular Moho points in this situation. To convert a Bezier point back into a Regular Moho point, select it and then apply Smooth or Peak. Then disable the Show Bezier option (for Curvature, you'll want to install Synthsin75's Curvature Tool mod which adds this 'missing' option.) Disabling this option will keep you from accidentally creating Bezier points, and you can always re-enable this option when you need it again.

After doing this, you can add an extra point or two in the curve to get the same curvature you had with the Bezier points. This is basically what I do for all of the character rigs I've built for our TV shows and it works fine.

This isn't to say you shouldn't ever use Bezier points in Moho. I like to use them for static, non-deforming items (i.e., props) and artwork that will be point animated directly on the timeline without the use of bones or Smart Bone Actions. (I recently did this for some explosion, smoke, and water fx animations. Tip: The Magnet Tool can be your friend in this situation.) But for rigged characters, I find it's better to avoid Bezier points.

But if you insist on using Bezier points in this situation, you will need to Peak (Ctrl-P) any sharp points to hold the shape from keyframe to keyframe. There's more info about this technique here...

https://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewto ... 07#p187807

Unfortunately, the visual is gone but I think Victor's description of his technique may help you solve this problem.

Hope this helps.