Changing End and Start Point for Stroke Exposure.

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

BrianLucas

Changing End and Start Point for Stroke Exposure.

Post by BrianLucas »

Hi,
I would really appreciate if anyone here let me know how I can change the start and end point for Stroke Exposure. I looked up on the manual and it said I have to hold the Alt key and select the point, but it's kind of confusing, and it doesn't seem to work.
Thanks
Greenlaw

Re: Changing End and Start Point for Stroke Exposure.

Post by Greenlaw »

The actual 'start' point in a curve is always the first point that was drawn in the curve, and the exposure range is set by the Start and End fields of the Tool Option. The easiest way to set the stroke exposure is in these boxes...just click and drag L/R with the left mouse button to dial in the range you want. (In Moho 12.5 and earlier, you need click and drag with the right mouse button.) For example, dialing 10 for Start and 75 for End means the stroke will be visible or exposed from 10% of the distance from 0% and stop when it reaches 75% of the distance.

You can also set the start and end points by clicking on the path directly. To do this, click+hold+drag L/R on the path to adjust the Start point, and the beginning will slide up and down from the first point. To set the end point, do the same thing but also press Alt, and the end will slide down and up from the other side of the point. (I think maybe you're not holding while dragging?)

It's a cool feature but has limitations. For example, to change the base point for the exposure, you need to edit the shape to change the position of the point. There's not good way to do this natively but an easy way is to use Simplsam's SS - Curve Exposure+ Tool found here:

https://mohoscripts.com/script/ss_curve_exposure

Another limitation with Stroke Exposure is that you can't expose/hide multiple regions of the curve at the same tim. I typically cheat this by using visibility keyframes to hide and reveal short stroke segments inside a curve by stacking edge shapes and animating shape order.

A variation of this technique is to use Synthsin75's Animated Hide Edges found here...

https://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewto ... 47#p174547

Synthsin75's method is easier to set up and use but the script has to be present to use it, so if you're working with a team of artists, everyone will need to have the script installed.

Hope this helps.

(Edited for errors and clarity.)
Last edited by Greenlaw on Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Lychee

Re: Changing End and Start Point for Stroke Exposure.

Post by Lychee »

It would be nice if in future versions of Moho this would be implemented natively.
I assume that almost all users of the program have had to face this problem at least once.