Music! (New, good, mine.)

Whatever...

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

SuperSGL

Re: Music! (New, good, mine.)

Post by SuperSGL »

Just wonderful sounds! I liked the last one "Deep Sleep Dub" and "Not Good Dub" really liked the sound and drum effects in this one (the whole album I mean) It adds more of a story to the music. Your bass lines and riffs are well done as well :mrgreen: That for me is my downfall If I don't keep it really really...really simple it usually just gets muddy. I usually have to record the drums first and play the bass to that ( total opposite of how it should be recorded) Anyway very nice work!
I still haven't put any of my stuff up many years ago I added a few songs for internet radio and such, they did ok. My stuff is mostly instrumental rock. What is yours classified as 'electronic' ?

I too feel like I'm in a race on time having arthritis in my neck and shoulder. Doesn't bother me when playing and recording it's the editing afterwards that gets tedious and starts to put alittle strain on things. Maybe they'll give me a shot or something to ease that (they did say no surgery! :D ) I did a song called 'Time Slipped By' over 20 years ago and I'm still letting it slip, I should get moving! :lol:
"Animation is not the art of drawings that move but the art of movements that are drawn."
Norman McLaren

My Animations
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

There's a trick I used about bass lines here.

First, I listened (again) to tracks from Bill Laswell, so I learned about melodic basslines and balancing them against silence. I try to have a rhythm in the bass. That track "Angebot/Nachfrage" had an ongoing 16th pattern first, which was much too sticky, so in the last minute before release I decided to erase every 1st and every 2 last notes in the pattern - now it breathes, and follows the rule to "not imitate in the bass what the drums are doing".

Second: to get the bass really to the front, I keep bassline and drums at level 0dB, and each of them have their own compression - not too much, just to enhance presence - and a limiter. Everything else is softer and quieter, sometimes down to -24 dB. (Typical levels are -3, -6, -8, -12 dB). There's a bit of overall compression on the final mix, again not too much.That's it.

That's the recipe I followed, and it seems to work. Thank you for the compliments!

(The "Not good" sample was some American who recorded a hurricane from his veranda ...)
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
SuperSGL

Post by SuperSGL »

I usually have separate compressions as well. My early stuff (young and foolish) I would just use compression only on the final mix ('gasp!') Hell, my early stuff I used SoundFonts!! I just need to get alittle more melodic like you said. You would think it would come naturally after listening to Beatles Yes and Rush all the time :oops: . I went to a recording studio back in the early 90's and after I recorded the bass line the engineer very pleasently and kindly commented "that's a pretty funky bass? " ...I got the hint and re-recorded it very basic. Anyway your music is truly inspiring me to start up again or at least create a score to my own animations...something!
slowtiger wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:02 am (The "Not good" sample was some American who recorded a hurricane from his veranda ...)
You ruined my imagination of it! :lol: :lol:
very cool though.
"Animation is not the art of drawings that move but the art of movements that are drawn."
Norman McLaren

My Animations
MeadowsR

Post by MeadowsR »

Congratulations Slowtiger, this is great :D :D. Love the songs. My favorites were Not Bad, and MTI Skank.