Nested bone rotations in smart bone actions not working

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

heyvern

Nested bone rotations in smart bone actions not working

Post by heyvern »

This doesn't work. If you have a smart bone action and rotate OTHER smart bones INSIDE that action, when you use that smart bone the other smart bones do not rotate. The rotations is added to the other actions so that you have to rotate them the added amount from the top level nested action.

Here's a sample file. It's a very confusing and annoying. I have been trying to work around it can't figure out if this is actually a bug or simply unexpected behavior?
https://trustthebeard.net/?sdm_process_ ... oad_id=697

On frame 24 Bone 1 is rotated 90 degrees. It has a smart action that rotates the other 4 bones. Each of those bones has a smart action that moves points of the vector layer. When you rotate Bone 1 nothing happens. The other bones do not rotate and points aren't moved based on those nested actions.

On frame 48 bones 2-5 have keyed rotation. However they have to rotate further than their original smart action because they are also rotated by bone 1 even though that rotation is never seen or activated by bone 1.

===========
UPDATE
=========
Same link new file. Apparently it's 3 nested "layers" of smart bones that breaks.
In the file Bone 1 smart bone action rotates the other 4 bones.
Another new bone called "This Bone Doesn't Work" rotates Bone 1.
This bone smart action does not activate bone2-5 actions at all. Only bone 1 smart action works on it's own. easier to just check the file. So confounding.

p.s. Workaround is to make sure there is only two layers of nested actions not 3. This is unfortunate and means redoing my current project a bit.
hayasidist

Re: Nested bone rotations in smart bone actions not working

Post by hayasidist »

I think you're already there but just in case: https://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33454 (that thread refers to older versions of Moho before Mike returned)
heyvern

Re: Nested bone rotations in smart bone actions not working

Post by heyvern »

Not quite the same issue. I rthink it seems similar because I used the term "layers" or "nested" incorrectly. I wasn't referring to actual nested layers, just nested smart bones controlling other smartbones.

This is not about child "layers" of nested bone layers passing through down nested layers. This is sort of nested smartbone actions that in that a single bone moves another bone that moves another bone each in an action but all on same bone layer.

On ONE BONE LAYER, a bone with one smart action moves another bone with a smart action which moves another bone. it doesn't quite get through all those smart bones to do what it should.

Two "levels" of smart bone actions isn't that bad. I am pretty much just giving a heads up that this is an issue that could be fixed in future updates or versions. It's not really a deal breaker. When I saw someone reference this functionality I got all excited and started to implement without testing "how far it goes". I will work around it for now by doing something different or maybe writing a very basic simple layer script to "fake" the behavior I need.

However, in my humble opinion this is a bug that should be fixed. I'm just trying to get it out there for someone to look at. Two levels of smart bone control is "okay-ish" but more and correct functionality would be best.