can you select all keyframes at once?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

jonathan.reaux

can you select all keyframes at once?

Post by jonathan.reaux »

Is it possible to select all keyframes of a character at once, to shift the timing? Not just the bones, but including the vector animation within a bone group as well? That would be extremely useful. It's a pain when I need to adjust the timing and I have to dig into the vector layer to match up adjustments to the bone animation.
Greenlaw

Re: can you select all keyframes at once?

Post by Greenlaw »

The easiest way is to slide the layer timings in Sequencer. This can offset the timing of an entire group all at once if that's what you want. You can't scale time this way though.

If you want to offset and rescale the keys directly, use Rescale Keyframes and enable Rescale Entire Document. However, this method isn't interactive so you'll want to work out what you want before using it.

Another way is to consolidate the layer channels so there is only one channel. You'll have to do this for each layer though and use Timeline Visibility to work with them together. If you mainly do your animations in a single Bones layer for each character, it's not a huge deal to set up, and it's probably the most flexible and interactive way to retime a scene in Moho.

As with any re-timing method, it helps to set keyframes for the head and tail of the animation, and for any key poses within the range.
mtbuck24

Post by mtbuck24 »

Greenlaw wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:35 pm The easiest way is to slide the layer timings in Sequencer. This can offset the timing of an entire group all at once if that's what you want. You can't scale time this way though.
Do you use this method often Greenlaw? Could you give an example of how/ when you would use it.

For me I haven't gotten much use out of the sequencer if it is also dragging frame 0 keys.

Thank you in advance if you are able to respond
I teach moho and animation on youtube - https://www.youtube.com/@mccoy_buck
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

In Sequencer, I just slide the group or layers to offset the time. Sequencer respects layer hierarchy so when you slide a parent group, the contained child layers slides with the group. That's really all Sequencer does--no non-linear or variable retiming, just offsets.

Where I tend use Sequencer is when I have a looping element I want to multiply and vary the animation of each instance without doing extra work. For example, cycle of a bee buzzing around...I just duplicate then slide each bee layer to a different frame...now I have a swarm of them with 'different' animation.

Tip #1: Offset the child layers first, then offset the parent group to a point before frame 0. This way you can pre-roll the animation. If you need to edit the child layers, you can move the parent group forward to frame 0 and that will bring the child layers back to where you originally moved them. Note that in Sequencer it will look like the child layers are re-aligning at frame 0 but that's not what's happening...they're actually sliding past 0 along with the parent group.

Tip #2: One annoying thing about Moho is that, while it's possible to offset the layers to negative frames, Moho won't let you see the timeline before frame 0. As an alternative to sliding the animation before frame 0, I usually prefer setting the start frame of my animation at frame 101 instead of 1, and using frames 1-100 as my 'pre-roll' frames. Then when I'm ready to render, I make sure my render profile is renders from 101 onward.

This is a good trick for pre-rolling particle effects and physical sims in Moho too. (I do the same thing in other 2D and 3D animation programs I use that won't show me pre-0 frames.)

Hope this helps.
mtbuck24

Post by mtbuck24 »

Greenlaw wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:09 am In Sequencer, I just slide the group or layers to offset the time. Sequencer respects layer hierarchy so when you slide a parent group, the contained child layers slides with the group. That's really all Sequencer does--no non-linear or variable retiming, just offsets.

Where I tend use Sequencer is when I have a looping element I want to multiply and vary the animation of each instance without doing extra work. For example, cycle of a bee buzzing around...I just duplicate then slide each bee layer to a different frame...now I have a swarm of them with 'different' animation.

Tip #1: Offset the child layers first, then offset the parent group to a point before frame 0. This way you can pre-roll the animation. If you need to edit the child layers, you can move the parent group forward to frame 0 and that will bring the child layers back to where you originally moved them. Note that in Sequencer it will look like the child layers are re-aligning at frame 0 but that's not what's happening...they're actually sliding past 0 along with the parent group.

Tip #2: One annoying thing about Moho is that, while it's possible to offset the layers to negative frames, Moho won't let you see the timeline before frame 0. As an alternative to sliding the animation before frame 0, I usually prefer setting the start frame of my animation at frame 101 instead of 1, and using frames 1-100 as my 'pre-roll' frames. Then when I'm ready to render, I make sure my render profile is renders from 101 onward.

This is a good trick for pre-rolling particle effects and physical sims in Moho too. (I do the same thing in other 2D and 3D animation programs I use that won't show me pre-0 frames.)

Hope this helps.
This is fantastic information Greenlaw thank you for taking the time to respond - I really appreciate it. Pre-rolling frames is really starting to make sense as something I should do more often - especially now that I use davinci resolve and using its transitions
I teach moho and animation on youtube - https://www.youtube.com/@mccoy_buck