This gives an image a flickery 'line boil' effect

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

CyberFilth

This gives an image a flickery 'line boil' effect

Post by CyberFilth »

So I just tried something tonight that worked out better than expected, and I wondered if I'm reinventing the wheel a little.

I loaded a background image that I drew into Moho, but it looked a little flat. I wanted it to have something like line boil happening, but not to a distracting degree. So as well as the background image, I also imported an image of just the line art, with a transparent background, and used the Trace Image option to convert it to a vector.
By reducing the opacity of the vector outline, it works quite well as shading for the image underneath. Plus, I can add a little animated vector noise so that it has a little visual interest.

This is the original image

This is the outline that was converted to a vector

And this is the end result, the flickering might be a bit too subtle on YouTube though
slowtiger

Re: This gives an image a flickery 'line boil' effect

Post by slowtiger »

Now that's a nifty trick! And I think you can build on that, because, as you stated yourself, it's a bit too subtle for Youtube. (That's the one thing I hate all video formats for: they can't really deal with all the grain and texture and drawing magic you can create with analogue film. And remember that every streaming service, like YT, may strip your carefully adjusted noise from your video and add its own in playback!)

So since you have the lines as a vector layer now, you could experiment further: you could assign any brush to the outline, adjust its width, and you could use vector noise on the outlines as well.

I already like the overall effect, the colouring looks nicely handmade and organic.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
mmmaarten

Re: This gives an image a flickery 'line boil' effect

Post by mmmaarten »

CyberFilth wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:04 am So I just tried something tonight that worked out better than expected, and I wondered if I'm reinventing the wheel a little.
Great idea and nice outline like this! I had to look twice to see it moving in the video (thought for a minute you converted a still to a video), but that's probably easy to magnify. Thanks for sharing!
Adults should play more often