Eyedropper tool is active in text layer, but doesn't work there?

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

mmmaarten

Eyedropper tool is active in text layer, but doesn't work there?

Post by mmmaarten »

Just a minor issue (or I am missing something?) but when in a text layer the eye dropper tool is showing in the toolbox (even after I moved the tool to the draw-section of the tools panel) indicating it could be used in that layer type, but whatever I do, it's not working here. When I sip a style from a vector layer's shape unto the text nothing happens.
Adults should play more often
synthsin75

Re: Eyedropper tool is active in text layer, but doesn't work there?

Post by synthsin75 »

There's two types of text layers. Vector and non-vector. On an non-vector text layer, the eyedropper works as you probably expect. On a vector text layer, the eyedropper works to pull/push shape styles, like the options on the select shape tool.
mmmaarten

Post by mmmaarten »

synthsin75 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:47 am There's two types of text layers. Vector and non-vector. On an non-vector text layer, the eyedropper works as you probably expect. On a vector text layer, the eyedropper works to pull/push shape styles, like the options on the select shape tool.
Alright I now found checkboxes in the edit text dialog to turn on or off the creation of a text layer. As I understand now these are the modes you're talking about?:
A - With 'Create Text Layer' unchecked (on a vector layer): Converts the text to vector outlines, so are no text anymore, but pure shapes (either one per character or a shape for the full text, depending on the 'Create one shape' checkbox)
B - With 'Create Text Layer' checked: creates a Text layer which is real (editable) text

Are these the modes you're talking about?

I just did the test with the eyedropper tool.
A - With the outlines it works as expected, which makes sense because it's no text anymore, just shapes. So the eyedropper tool sips the style and places it on the selected shape
B - On text layer I still don't see the eye dropper tool working. The eye dropper sips the style, but doesn't apply it to the text layer. Please see video below:

(BTW I understand there are two other eyedropper buttons inside the text edit window, but this is not about those, this is about the eyedropper tool.
BTW2 I love your script to switch back'n'forth to frame 0! I now added it to a numpad-0 shortcut and use it all the time! Speeds up the workflow a lot. Thanks!)
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

mmmaarten wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:03 am BTW2 I love your script to switch back'n'forth to frame 0! I now added it to a numpad-0 shortcut and use it all the time! Speeds up the workflow a lot. Thanks!)
I'm not sure which script you mean but that can be done using the built in "Design Mode", which means frame 0, and pressing it again brings you back to where you were in the timeline. Maybe the script was made when we still didn't have the feature built in, I don't know.
mmmaarten

Post by mmmaarten »

Daxel wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:14 am I'm not sure which script you mean but that can be done using the built in "Design Mode", which means frame 0, and pressing it again brings you back to where you were in the timeline. Maybe the script was made when we still didn't have the feature built in, I don't know.
Cool! I didn't know about that one, but it's indeed doing the exact same thing, so that's one script less to have installed! Nice! Thanks for the tip! :D

[edit] although on the other hand I might end up keep using the script, because AFAIK we can't use simple shortcuts on menu items like that and I like numpad-0 to trigger the go to zero script better than to have to use ctrl+shift+d (three keys) all the time. It would be so nice if we would just have more control over the keyboard shortcuts.
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

mmmaarten wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:32 am
[edit] although on the other hand I might end up keep using the script, because AFAIK we can't use simple shortcuts on menu items like that and I like numpad-0 to trigger the go to zero script better than to have to use ctrl+shift+d (three keys) all the time. It would be so nice if we would just have more control over the keyboard shortcuts.
Aah, absolutely. As a heavy user of shortcuts, I really wish they had less limitations. This one only forces you to use one modifier key by the way. I changed it to alt-D.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Easy access to Design Mode was one reason I created MQC. I used to use Moho exclusively on a tablet PC, and clicking a button to toggle commands like Design Mode was much easier for me than using keyboard shortcuts (since I didn't have a physical keyboard.) Nowadays, I mainly use a mouse with Moho but I still find MQC makes many things easier to do. (At least I don't have to memorize so many shortcuts.) Give it a try. :)
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Yes, with a text layer, you can only change its style from the layer settings...unless you convert it to a vector layer, but then you lose the easy ability to edit the text.