Add a quick way to uncheck layer's timeline visibility but from the timelines panel

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Daxel

Add a quick way to uncheck layer's timeline visibility but from the timelines panel

Post by Daxel »

When I'm working with multiple timelines from different layers at the same time, I love that I can click on the layer's name right there on the timeline to select that layer without having to go to the layer's panel. I just miss a similar quick way to close that timeline from the timeline's panel without having to go to the layer's panel to uncheck the layer's timeline visibility. Maybe clicking on the layer's name but with a modifier like alt, or right-clicking... something like that.

If something similar exists please let me know.
Greenlaw

Re: Add a quick way to uncheck layer's timeline visibility but from the timelines panel

Post by Greenlaw »

Some ideas...

I think Layer Comps is supposed to allow you to create presets for Timeline Visibility the way it does for Layer Visibility, but I've never figured out how to make that part work. Now that I'm thinking about this, I should check again, as I could be totally wrong about the Timeline Visibility options in there.

You can also try using a layer selection script like Layer Shortcuts or Layer Selection Buttons...either of these will select the layer directly with buttons. (There are limitations for importing setups using these tools, though.)

You might also try tags in the layer. Just include one for the Timeline Visibility in the layers you commonly use with that option. Then you can search for it at the top of the Layers Window. Tip: Keep the tag short but memorable, like 'tv,' to make it easier to enter. To me, this is a little clunky, but it's faster than drilling down a complex hierarchy. (That reminds me, we really need an 'X' in the search window to clear the entry.)
Daxel

Re: Add a quick way to uncheck layer's timeline visibility but from the timelines panel

Post by Daxel »

Greenlaw wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:23 pm Some ideas...

I think Layer Comps is supposed to allow you to create presets for Timeline Visibility the way it does for Layer Visibility, but I've never figured out how to make that part work. Now that I'm thinking about this, I should check again, as I could be totally wrong about the Timeline Visibility options in there.

You can also try using a layer selection script like Layer Shortcuts or Layer Selection Buttons...either of these will select the layer directly with buttons. (There are limitations for importing setups using these tools, though.)

You might also try tags in the layer. Just include one for the Timeline Visibility in the layers you commonly use with that option. Then you can search for it at the top of the Layers Window. Tip: Keep the tag short but memorable, like 'tv,' to make it easier to enter. To me, this is a little clunky, but it's faster than drilling down a complex hierarchy. (That reminds me, we really need an 'X' in the search window to clear the entry.)
The need for this is too circunstancial to solve it with layer comps or anything that needs a previous setup.

For layer selecting, I have tried different approaches/scripts but alt-right clicking is my favourite by far. Super glad that we have the "ignored by layer selection" option now, it was a nice addition for references and other cases.

When I enable the timeline visibility of a layer I almost always do it using a script that enables it for every animated layer (really hoping we can get that built in at some point). Sometimes I do it manually. But the layers I need enabled changes constantly depending on the task at hand, so making layer comps or tags wouldn't be practical. Just a quick way of disabling the timeline visibility from the timeline panel would be nice.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Daxel wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:17 pm For layer selecting, I have tried different approaches/scripts but alt-right clicking is my favourite by far. Super glad that we have the "ignored by layer selection" option now, it was a nice addition for references and other cases.
Good point...Alt and Alt+Shift are easier for selecting most layer types.

Where the layer selection buttons are more useful to me is in selecting Switch layers when the art is inside sub-groups...alt clicking doesn't work for that because it selects the art layer, and alt+shift clicking selects the art's subgroup, not the Switch. For a while, I got into the habit of using these scripts because they work so well for Switch layers in particular but unfortunately, the button assignments don't carry over on import.

Still hoping for a better native or third-party solution for selecting any arbitrary layer or group in Moho. Actually, if we had just one more modifier option that allows us to select the nested art's Switch layer, I'd be a happy clam. :)
Just a quick way of disabling the timeline visibility from the timeline panel would be nice.
I totally agree; this sort of thing should be easier. I was just listing some options we have now.

Getting back to tagging, the advantage I see with that is you can isolate and select all the layers you want to enable Timeline Visibility for all at once. Admittedly, it's still a little clunky, though. (Hm...just checked this. I can isolate and select all these at once but unfortunately, I can only enable Timeline Visibility one layer at a time. It's always something, isn't it?) :)
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

Greenlaw wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:45 pm
Still hoping for a better native or third-party solution for selecting any arbitrary layer or group in Moho. Actually, if we had just one more modifier option that allows us to select the nested art's Switch layer, I'd be a happy clam. :)
Absolutely. And one more modifier or custom shortcut for selecting the closest parent bone layer, which I do all the time using this script by Davoodice2: https://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34399
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I took a quick look at Timeline Visibility for Layer Comps...ok, now I get it. The option isn't something you create layer comps for, but it's there so you can enable TV for the visible layers. So, if you set up a Layer Comp just for the layers you would enable TV for, you activate that layer comp, enable TV (it will do this for all visible layers, unlike in the Layers Window,), and then activate a master layer comp to set you back to the normal view, but with only the previous layer comp will have TV active.

Again, a little clunky, but I can see this being very useful. This doesn't appear to be documented, so I'm guessing this is the intended use of the TV options in Layer Comps. Regardless, I'll find this useful. :D

The downside (sigh! There's always a downside) is that Layer Comps settings don't natively carry over when importing a project, but Wes (Synthsin75) created a very handy script called Syn Import Layer Comps that allows me to import Layer Comp settings.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Just saw your post for the script link. Will check it out. Thanks!
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Oh, cool! I wondered if Davoodice2's script works with Switch layers if I replace every instance of 'bone' with 'switch' (preserving letter casing.) Yeah, this seems to work fine! It would be great if this was a single-click thing but it's still going to be handy to me.

I'll have to ask him if it's okay to post the mod.
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

Good idea!

And the layer comps trick is interesting but in practice I only want to see the keyframes of the layers that have keyframes so I'm always using this script by A. Evseeva to enable TV for animated layers:
https://mohoscripts.com/script/ae_keytools