Stroke as mask not working properly

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

WatchMotion

Stroke as mask not working properly

Post by WatchMotion »

I noticed that trying to mask a fill shape with a "stroke only" shape produces a weird jaggy edged result. Link to screen shots below:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/tuiyw1m4 ... 4s25m&dl=0
synthsin75

Re: Stroke as mask not working properly

Post by synthsin75 »

That's only in the workspace. Final render should be fine.
WatchMotion

Post by WatchMotion »

Ah, okay I see it works with rendering preview now but still a bug that should be addressed though I think.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

No, that's how Moho 14 is now able to display so many effects in the workspace and during playback. A very slight compromise to be able to see your work much closer to render quality.
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

Similar to this: https://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewto ... 10#p213510

Have you tried enabling GPU caching? It seems to look better with GPU enabled for that user.

Hmm I'm trying to replicate this but I am not getting any jagged lines, GPU chaching or not. If you share a file I can see if that happens here too.

Also what OS do you use?
Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

synthsin75 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:24 am No, that's how Moho 14 is now able to display so many effects in the workspace and during playback. A very slight compromise to be able to see your work much closer to render quality.
I like this improvement a lot. It might be my favorite thing about the upgrade.

I had a frustrating mask problem with a character in 13.5 that I could never fix, and I finally fixed it. :D
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Hoptoad wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:23 am I like this improvement a lot. It might be my favorite thing about the upgrade.

I had a frustrating mask problem with a character in 13.5 that I could never fix, and I finally fixed it. :D
Yeah, way more intuitive when you can immediately see what's going on with masking.
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

I do wish the 'masking jaggies' were less prominent, as I am weaning myself off using the Render Preview - and instead just disabling the display of 'Curves', when I want to see what the final output / animation might look like.

I wish there was an option to choose the priority of Display Quality vs Performance.

Also, none of my examples appear to be affected by disabling GPU Caching.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

SimplSam wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:21 am
I wish there was an option to choose the priority of Display Quality vs Performance.
+1. Like in games.
WatchMotion

Post by WatchMotion »

Daxel wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:46 am Similar to this: https://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewto ... 10#p213510

Have you tried enabling GPU caching? It seems to look better with GPU enabled for that user.

Hmm I'm trying to replicate this but I am not getting any jagged lines, GPU chaching or not. If you share a file I can see if that happens here too.

Also what OS do you use?
I'm on Monterey - here's the file. So you're not getting jaggies at all? Definitely curious to know if its one of my settings making this happen.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/rt6wa9lb ... pghwr&dl=0
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

WatchMotion wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:30 pm
I'm on Monterey - here's the file. So you're not getting jaggies at all? Definitely curious to know if its one of my settings making this happen.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/rt6wa9lb ... pghwr&dl=0
Ah I can see them now! They look like in your images.

So, I tested a few things because it didn't make any sense that I haven't seen those jagged lines in the complex file I'm working right now that has many masks, and I discovered that the, let's call it "resolution" for the masking layer is determined by the amount of points that the masking shape contains in that area. That means it has an easy workarround and it's something that could be improved by Moho.

To see it for yourself, try this:

Select all the points in the masking shape (the circle). Now click on divide to duplicate the amount of points in your circle. You can see that the resolution of the displayed lines has improved a lot and it is pretty decent now. Do it again and it is almost perfect.

I think that Moho could solve this issue increasing the display minimum resolution. Increasing only the minimum resolution and not the resolution in general shouldn't affect the resolution of most shapes that are usually more dense in points, so only the few shapes that display poorly right now would receive the increase in resolution they need to look better and the cost shouldn't be high. And as SimpleSam said, having two or three "performance/quality" modes would be ideal. This is only guessing, I don't know how anything actually works.

Corner case scenarios like these are normal to be overlook in new major versions, and are often fixed or improved shortly after. Have you reported it?
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Just sharing my experience with display optimizations...

When I'm working in any animation program, I tend to turn off as many preview enhancements as I reasonably can. In practice, seeing full-display quality constantly when I'm animating is unnecessary. Display optimization not only improves program performance and user interaction, it also allows me to concentrate on the task at hand: creation strong poses and motion.

In Moho, I only spot-check my renders with Ctrl-R a few times during the setup stage (drawing and rigging) and just before submitting the final render with Moho Exporter. I almost never bother with Ctrl-R during the animation stage unless something questionable arises. (I'm more likely to use Ctrl-R when I'm creating FX animations like fire and fluids.)

Optimizing the preview display is helpful in 2D programs like Moho and Harmony, and especially in the 3D animation programs I use. It's all about working as efficiently as possible, so I can move on to my next task and still have time to watch One Piece. :D
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

Daxel wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:15 pm ... I discovered that the, let's call it "resolution" for the masking layer is determined by the amount of points that the masking shape contains in that area. That means it has an easy workaround and it's something that could be improved by Moho.
To see it for yourself, try this: Select all the points in the masking shape (the circle). Now click on divide to duplicate the amount of points in your circle. You can see that the resolution of the displayed lines has improved a lot and it is pretty decent now. Do it again and it is almost perfect.
Have you reported it?
This is spectacularly brilliant. I went from a 4 point mask to 8 points and 💥 Boom 💥 - the Jaggies are gone. I will def post a 'bug / optimisation report' for this.

I wouldn't mind if it optimised more during playback, but gave us a improved display when static or stepping around frames.
Greenlaw wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:29 pm Just sharing my experience with display optimizations...
The problem with this feature is - most people think there is something wrong with their character, Moho or their display - especially when we have so many other wonderful display improvements in MH14. The jaggies look weird and are a unnecessary distraction as the quick-fix above shows.

In any event - I am stupendously happy that I have a simple resolution at the cost of a few additional points. Obviously I will need to take that into account with more complicated animated masks (until LM increases the resolution of the Jaggies).

The example from: onurdemirsoy below looks just plain bad, distracting, confusing, serves no purpose - and I literally don't think you are incurring anything in terms of performance hits - if you crank the resolution of the edge overlay up a little. I am confident that LM will fix this.
onurdemirsoy wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:30 am I opened my old file. At first it looks good but when I disable GPU Caching, this happened.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam