Linear cycle changes back to smooth

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

SuperSGL

Linear cycle changes back to smooth

Post by SuperSGL »

I was playing around with the liquid shapes like in the tutorial by Victor. I noticed that as soon as I created a cycle the interpolation changed to smooth. I selected the last keys again and changed it back to Linear and the cycle is gone. As far as I can tell (it was just a simple star rotation) It is moving in a linear way. I re created this animation in version 13.5 and it stays linear. If I change it to smooth it doesn't get rid of the cycle as in version 14. Might be another bug? Something to be aware of anyway if your using a cycle with the wrong interpolation and you change it you'll have to select the last key frame and select cycle again. Haven't tried it with any of the other interpolations yet.
"Animation is not the art of drawings that move but the art of movements that are drawn."
Norman McLaren

My Animations
Greenlaw

Re: Linear cycle changes back to smooth

Post by Greenlaw »

Interpolation changes and cycling seem to be working correctly here, but I'm creating my tests inside Moho 14, so maybe there are issues when importing from previous versions of Moho?

Somewhat related: I've seen issues with projects I made years ago using ASP 11 and Moho 12.5, where certain features will be turned off or reset, but I wasn't too surprised by this. TBH, considering how old these files were, I expected worse. Fortunately, it wasn't difficult to update the files to work with Moho 14 (in these cases, anyway.)

So far, I've had good luck with Moho 13.5.5 projects in Moho 14, but I haven't done as much work in 13.5.5 as I did in 12.5. (I hope to eventually do a LOT more work in Moho 14.) :D
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

Hmm we are all getting different results or there is a miscomunication because I can reproduce what SuperSGL describes in Moho 14 with a newly created file "as soon as I created a cycle the interpolation changed to smooth. I selected the last keys again and changed it back to Linear and the cycle is gone". The last keys you mean the ones that are in Cycle mode right? Yeah it happens like that here too. But I also get that behaviour in Moho 13.5.5 so I don't know why you don't and Greenlaw doesn't seem to get that behaviour on any version.

About the first part, "as soon as I created a cycle the interpolation changed to smooth" this seems to be mutually exclusive in Moho 13. I mean, you can only choose between linear, smooth or cycle but not cycle and smooth (or at least there is no way to tell, in the icon or in the keyframe panel). But in Moho 14, you can set a keyframe as cycle and still see in written in red "smooth".
SuperSGL

Post by SuperSGL »

13.5.5 Does change to smooth but when I change it to Linear it doesn't delete the cycle like in 14.
"Animation is not the art of drawings that move but the art of movements that are drawn."
Norman McLaren

My Animations
SuperSGL

Post by SuperSGL »

Is there away to change the default behavior for the type of interpolation? I was re creating this again in 13.5.5 and then in 14 but when I placed my first key frame down it selected linear and adding a cycle the animation was Linear? Last night it came up Smooth when I added the keyframe ?
Ah, I just answered my own question the last interpolation used becomes the default when you re start moho 14. However, it still will get rid of the cycle if I change it.
Norman McLaren

My Animations
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

The animation interpolation leading to a cycle keyframe is determined by the previous keyframe. A cycle keyframe is just a hard step/jump to the beginning of the cycle. It has no "interpolation," per se.
SuperSGL

Post by SuperSGL »

Yea, doing it the right way I can change the first keyframe of the cycle and it doesn't get rid of it. :oops: :oops: That will actually be helpful when I try to change the interpolation to something else on the wrong key frame it will disappear on me.
Now I have to go back to one of my animations and check it. I had a bird fly into a tree where the beak gets stuck but I couldn't get it to play like a linear motion or with any other effect but smooth.
Norman McLaren

My Animations
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

synthsin75 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:52 pm The animation interpolation leading to a cycle keyframe is determined by the previous keyframe. A cycle keyframe is just a hard step/jump to the beginning of the cycle. It has no "interpolation," per se.
Y' know - I've never actually thought too hard about this before ... but that actually begs the question about which key's interpolation kicks in at the point that the cycle restarts -- the one immediately before the "cycle" key or the one immediately before the point that the cycle jumps back to?
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

synthsin75 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:52 pm The animation interpolation leading to a cycle keyframe is determined by the previous keyframe. A cycle keyframe is just a hard step/jump to the beginning of the cycle. It has no "interpolation," per se.
Yeah, that's my understanding too: a Cycle key just exits to where it's pointed, so there is no 'interpolation' for that frame. The interpolation mode picks up at the frame where the Cycle drops off or from the keyframe before that frame.

Changing the interpolation mode directly on a Cycle key should turn it into the chosen interpolation and remove the Cycle interpolation. I just checked again and it behaves this way for me in 13.5.5 too.

Maybe there's a misunderstanding on my part, as Daxel says. If I have time today, I'll take another look.
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

As I recall - I have had issues with the Interval upon cycle being taken from the Cycle keyframe (if it has Interval > 1).
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

This makes sense and it's coherent with the cicle type "dissapearing" that is actually just changing the interpolation to the one selected. The confusing thing for me is that in Moho 14 you can select a cycle keyframe and the interpolation in the red letters, on top of the timeline, says "smooth" or "linear" and if you click there, there is no option to select cycle.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

hayasidist wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:46 pm Y' know - I've never actually thought too hard about this before ... but that actually begs the question about which key's interpolation kicks in at the point that the cycle restarts -- the one immediately before the "cycle" key or the one immediately before the point that the cycle jumps back to?
I assume the interpolation that's "in progress" wherever the cycle picks up.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Daxel wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:57 pm This makes sense and it's coherent with the cicle type "dissapearing" that is actually just changing the interpolation to the one selected. The confusing thing for me is that in Moho 14 you can select a cycle keyframe and the interpolation in the red letters, on top of the timeline, says "smooth" or "linear" and if you click there, there is no option to select cycle.
Yeah, the new "default interpolation" dropdown behavior is a bit confusing, since it's missing cycle interpolation.

Looks like it might have been an oversight that cycle is missing.
I've reported it.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Just asking because I don't see a situation where I would need this, but when would I choose Cycle as my default Interpolation mode?

Normally, Cycle is a specialty mode that I apply to existing 'non-cycling' keys. I don't think I'd ever begin with a Cycle key and use it all the time.

(FYI, I leave it on Use Previous Key almost all the time. I only change the default to something else when I run into a special situation.)
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

synthsin75 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:13 pm
hayasidist wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:46 pm Y' know - I've never actually thought too hard about this before ... but that actually begs the question about which key's interpolation kicks in at the point that the cycle restarts -- the one immediately before the "cycle" key or the one immediately before the point that the cycle jumps back to?
I assume the interpolation that's "in progress" wherever the cycle picks up.
I've just run a few tests (using a diagnostic tool that logs values at each frame and feeds them into a spreadsheet) and it looks to me that it's the interpolation in the key that is before the "loop back to" frame...

IOW if we have: smooth / return point / linear / cycle back on frames 1, 5, 20, 30

then on the first pass it's smooth 1-20, linear 21-30

and the first cycle is (add 31-5=26 to ...) smooth 5-20, linear 21-30