Restore Default Styles Moho 14

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

kmvassey

Restore Default Styles Moho 14

Post by kmvassey »

Hey y'all! I made a rookie mistake and accidentally used "delete unused" on my scene styles and lost all the amazing default styles for the freehand tool. How can I get those back? I've looked around Windows and can't find the location for a re-import. Is there a button I'm missing somewhere? Thank y'all in advance!
Kaye Vassey (she/her)
Senior Animation Manager

Movie Credits
LinkedIn
Art Instagram
Greenlaw

Re: Restore Default Styles Moho 14

Post by Greenlaw »

Hi Kaye!

These new styles are new to Moho 14 and I'm still getting familiar with them myself, but I have some ideas that might help.

If you create a new project, you'll see that the styles will reappear there. So, I don't think you can permanently delete these 'starter' styles.

Once the new project is created, you can import your original project (the one with the deleted styles) to this one. Alternatively, if the original project is still open, place the contents into a group and use Copy Layer and Paste Layer to move the contents to the new project file. (Note: Copy Layer and Paste Layer should not be confused with the regular Copy and Paste commands.)

Another approach is to use Moho's Library window to transfer the Styles. I just checked, and I'm a little surprised that the new styles don't already exist there but it's possible to add them yourself. Once you set this up, it's just drag and drop. (I think...it's been a while since I last used the Library window.)

Personally, I'd take the 'import to a new project' route. It's probably the shortest and easiest way.
SuperSGL

Post by SuperSGL »

I created and saved a blank file so when I open up older files I can just import the styles from that blank file and everything shows up. I also saw something in the manual that states an internal ID now, so style with the same name will be recognized as a different style (if that makes sense)
"Animation is not the art of drawings that move but the art of movements that are drawn."
Norman McLaren

My Animations
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Out of curiosity, I spent a few minutes looking at Styles in the Libary window.

You can find a few example styles from Moho 12 content in there. When I drag any of them to the current project, it over-writes the list that currently exists. I'm assuming this won't affect any styles that are currently being used in the project. Just something to be aware of.

I also took a peek at where the starter Styles were coming from. You can find them here:

Path: C:\Program Files\Moho\Moho 14\Resources\Support\Common\Styles
File: StartupStyles.mohostyle

When I double-clicked the file, Moho asked me if I wanted to add these styles to the open project. I let it and got exactly that.

You can probably copy this file to your Custom Content Folder and edit or expand the lsit if you know how.

I don't remember how to add my own Styles to the Library because it's been many years since the last time I did that. I'll look into it after work tonight.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Oh, duh...Export Styles.

Haven't tried it, but I'm almost sure that's it. Just export the data to the Styles folder in your custom content folder, and I think it will show up in the Library window. If not, you can probably add the file to the Library window.

Will test tonight to be sure.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

SuperSGL wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:22 am I created and saved a blank file so when I open up older files I can just import the styles from that blank file and everything shows up. I also saw something in the manual that states an internal ID now, so style with the same name will be recognized as a different style (if that makes sense)
Hmm...interesting. I'll have to try that.

I normally use the Unlink Shared Styles option in the Import window. This is useful, for example, when I need to repurpose existing styles on a character but modify them to look different from another instance of a character. (The many dozens of cats from the Boss Baby scenes on my demo reel are such an example.) This option basically changes the Style ID but keeps the original Style name, which I can still change in the project if I wish.
kmvassey

Post by kmvassey »

Thanks y'all! So yeah, i just opened a fresh scene and exported the default styles to the Custom Content area and then imported them into my project file. Easy enough. Thank y'all for the ideas! This community rocks!!
Kaye Vassey (she/her)
Senior Animation Manager

Movie Credits
LinkedIn
Art Instagram